Has anybody tried wicking this interesting jar from Hobby Lobby?

I've seen these jars at Hobby Lobby in the candle making aisle, and they are so cool-looking, but I didn't think they could be wicked because of the chimney effect. I hope I'm wrong; has anybody here wicked this jar successfully? It's called a Fluted Metal Snap-ring Jar, and it's 4" x 4". http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/fluted-metal-snap-ring-jar-686725/

I'm using 4627 Comfort blend right now, but I'd also like to try 6098 Victory blend next, which might look cuter with pastel shades in this jar. But, 6098 might burn hotter like 6006 and also burn down instead of out, so I'd like to get this jar working with 4627 first, if possible.

These jars would be affordable during the frequent 50% off glassware sales, and if it wasn't Sunday I'd go buy one right now and try it.

Also, the diameter is 4" but the neck is narrow, so would the narrow neck reduce the amount of HT? The shape is similar to the tureen and the 8 oz square mason, which both throw like a beast.

Edited by HorsescentS

so cute! I'd love to see it done but I worry about it sooting the opening and what about tipping over because of the lid?

Good points, Lorelei! I just wonder why Hobby Lobby would specifically recommend it for candle making if it's a problematic container.

Edited by HorsescentS

I love those jars. I have seen them before there and have thought about trying them out from time to time as well. They are very similar to ones that home interiors used to carry. I still remember their pumpkin pie or harvest candle in that jar...used to be my all time favorite candle growing up. If they used jars like this back then im assuming they were using zincs...but who knows what kind of wax they used. Whatever they used it worked because that candle had incredible HT.

I don't use your wax but I would be willing to test that jar out with my wax and share my results. It is just so neat for fall:)

I love those jars. I have seen them before there and have thought about trying them out from time to time as well. They are very similar to ones that home interiors used to carry. I still remember their pumpkin pie or harvest candle in that jar...used to be my all time favorite candle growing up. If they used jars like this back then im assuming they were using zincs...but who knows what kind of wax they used. Whatever they used it worked because that candle had incredible HT.

I don't use your wax but I would be willing to test that jar out with my wax and share my results. It is just so neat for fall:)

Thanks, glowworm! I was wondering about zincs too, because they're cooler and I'd be worried about overheating in a jar with such a relatively narrow neck that could trap heat. But, then again, zincs are not self-trimming, so if the customer didn't trim the wick the flame could get awfully big for that jar. I'm using HTP wicks right now with 4627, and they burn hot, but I'll try them first in there.

Thanks for telling me the HT was good in that shape jar! That's so encouraging! Yay!

I think they're super cute too, and would look pretty with lace or velvet bows, since they're kind of vintage and feminine looking. LET'S DO THIS, glowworm! :D

Sorry but I wouldn't use this for a candle. With the 4627 you would more than likely need 2 wicks for a clean burn at the wider 4" bottom, which will definately soot the smaller top. It also may cause a tunnel or chimney effect and you'd have dancing flames on the wicks. Good luck with your testing! :cool2:

Sorry but I wouldn't use this for a candle. With the 4627 you would more than likely need 2 wicks for a clean burn at the wider 4" bottom, which will definately soot the smaller top. It also may cause a tunnel or chimney effect and you'd have dancing flames on the wicks. Good luck with your testing! :cool2:

Thanks, ChrisR, you're probably right about that. I'll give it a try with a single wick to see what happens, though. Maybe the narrow neck will trap enough heat to help get an FMP in the wider 4" bottom. I hate the chimney effect. :( I hope that won't happen.

Good luck! Please keep us posted on your progress. Next time I get close to HL I'll pick up a couple to try as well. :)

Will do! I lucked out and they were on sale today.

I also got a couple of the plain, wide-mouth round 4" snap-ring lid jars from the candle making aisle, too; but with my wax I think those would need to be triple wicked with HTP 62s and I don't have anything smaller than 83 right now. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/glass-jar-with-metal-snap-ring-816157/

Edited by HorsescentS

If I remember correctly, the similar jar that HI sold was much larger than this--I think it was about an 18-oz candle. I kept one of those jars for years because I loved it so much! Even though the shape was similar, the difference between the neck and the "bowl" of the jar was much less--I believe the lid was a standard apothecary jar or larger and if this is the jar I've seen in Hobby Lobby, the neck is much smaller than that. I'll be anxiously watching for test results, because I, too, love the look of this jar but think the chimney effect will cause problems.

If I remember correctly, the similar jar that HI sold was much larger than this--I think it was about an 18-oz candle. I kept one of those jars for years because I loved it so much! Even though the shape was similar, the difference between the neck and the "bowl" of the jar was much less--I believe the lid was a standard apothecary jar or larger and if this is the jar I've seen in Hobby Lobby, the neck is much smaller than that. I'll be anxiously watching for test results, because I, too, love the look of this jar but think the chimney effect will cause problems.

I'm hoping it's squatty enough that there won't be a chimney effect. I didn't have chimney effect in my regular-mouth Quart Mason until the level of the wax was halfway down in the jar.

I poured two of the jars, one with HTP 1212 and the other with 126, because I don't have the 1312. I used 1.2 oz CS Hazelnut Coffee and 14.8 oz 4627, so each jar has 1/2 lb wax/FO mixture. The level of the wax is 1/2" below the tops of those elipse-shaped bumps where the curved jar meets the straight neck. That should create enough of a heat sink, although I like jars to look more full, but I'm afraid it wouldn't burn properly if I filled them up to where the straight neck starts.

I sure like that FO! :drool: It's really the perfect scent, very true. Will post pics when I burn in a day or two.

Edited by HorsescentS

DISASTROUS! I lit those two candles and they were smoke bombs! I've never seen so much smoke in my life! I know it's the shape of the jar, because those wicks didn't smoke when I tested them in the regular mouth quart mason until the wax was halfway down in the jar, and even then they didn't smoke even half as much as these new jars. I don't see how anybody could make candles with these jars. *shudder* How can Hobby Lobby include them in their candle making supplies?

I yanked out the 1212 and tried a 62 zinc in there too, and at first there was no smoke, so I got excited, but then it started smoking too. I'm giving up on this jar. I'm going to melt those candles down and pour two pint masons.

Edited by HorsescentS

Oh Horsescents...that stinks:( I was so hoping you would have success. Have you ever seen any other similar jars that don't have such a narrow top?

No, I've never seen similar jars with a wider mouth, except the smooth round ones I posted a link to earlier in this thread.

glowworm, I melted those two candles in my oven at 170 this morning and then poured the wax into two regular-mouth Ball pint mason jars, and I was so sure I could wick those easily because I can do Ball jelly jars with HTP 83 or sometimes 73. So I tried HTP 104 and 105 in the pint mason.

But, when I lit them seven hours later it was another disaster. The HTP 104 and 105 smoked a lot, but not as bad as the fancy jars, so I trimmed the wicks down to 1/8" and the 105 was still smoking a lot so I pulled it out and replaced it with a 93. Both the 93 and the 104 burned nicely for about 10 minutes and then started drowning, so even after I poured off some of the wax they eventually drowned.

I'm so frustrated! Should I have let those repours harden for a day or two? would that have made a difference? Is it even possible to wick the regular mouth pint mason with 4627 wax?

Edited by HorsescentS

P.S. glowworm, here's the link to the plain round jar with the wide mouth and hinged lid from Hobby Lobby's candle making aisle. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...p-ring-816157/ If I had smaller HTP wicks on hand I would try triple wicking it with 63's, but the smallest I have right now is 83. I don't think I can double wick it without the wicks drowning like they did in the pint Ball Elite jar.

Edited by HorsescentS