soy votive question

I have been doing 100% soy containers for a year now and I want to try votives. (dang those after Xmas sales that you get a votive warmer for 60% off) Anyway, I need advice on the best type of molds for these. Do I want ones that come with wick pins, and if so how do I use them. How many molds did most of you votive makers start out with eyc. THANKS

I have been doing 100% soy containers for a year now and I want to try votives. (dang those after Xmas sales that you get a votive warmer for 60% off) Anyway, I need advice on the best type of molds for these. Do I want ones that come with wick pins, and if so how do I use them. How many molds did most of you votive makers start out with eyc. THANKS

Candlewic is a good place for the metal votive molds and pins. The prices vary quite a bit from company to company so be sure to price around. I've gotten quite a few off the classifieds also. I would definitely get wick pins as soy votives tend to crack and break if you mess with them too much. You may not want to buy too many molds at once until you find out if you enjoy votive making or not. good luck

As far as use...I stick the wick pins in the votive molds and pour the wax into them. I then tap them very slightly to let any bubbles rise. Let it set until they are hard. I have to do a repour with the wax I use to get a nice looking top. I make sure that they are completely cooled and pull the votives out. The next step can be tricky. Some people spray the inside of the mold with a veggi spray. I didn't and a couple sticked the first time I did them. The second batch was fine because you don't clean the molds and the bit of residue from the previous batch helps them slide out. Then I tap the top of the wick pin against my "very old" card table to loosen the wax from the bottom (round part of the pin). Then you can wick it. I started out with 6 molds. I use KY votive wax and love it. I now have a system down and making them is kinda fun now. HTH.

:wink2: -Good Luck!