Presto Pot- I love it!!Thanks

Did all of you buy the ones that have the spigot added or did you convert it yourself?

I have a 100 lb. wax melter but still have to use my presto pots for basic orders. I have only used my official wax melter for fundraisers....takes too long to heat up a small amout of wax and too much energy. I never did convert my presto pots to be able to pour from the pot. So, all these years, I have just used them double boiler style.....larger pour pot with wax inside the presto pot that has water in it. I also have a Turkey roaster that I use for slightly larger orders. This has worked well and holds way more than a presto pot, but I think it would be easier to pour from the presto pot with a spigot. Also, regarding the double boiler style, I hate the moisture going in the air from the water/steam and lately have worried that it may be harder on the lungs....fumes mingled with moisture in the air. Not sure.

The thing I like about the double boiler style is I can remove the one pot and put the other pot with the measured out wax back in to heat back up to the temp I need. The water heats back up real quick. This way I can keep the supplier wax pot at a lower temp. How do you guys work that? I have had the Turkey roaster going and two presto pots at one time. I have seen warmer trays used by some candle makers before, so I got a pancake griddle instead....could find this local. However, the measured out wax does not heat up as fast on there as it does in the double boiler so I just use that to keep my other waxes that I may be using liquified.

Edited by Holly

Did all of you buy the ones that have the spigot added or did you convert it yourself?

I have a 100 lb. wax melter but still have to use my presto pots for basic orders. I have only used my official wax melter for fundraisers....takes too long to heat up a small amout of wax and too much energy. I never did convert my presto pots to be able to pour from the pot. So, all these years, I have just used them double boiler style.....larger pour pot with wax inside the presto pot that has water in it. I also have a Turkey roaster that I use for slightly larger orders. This has worked well and holds way more than a presto pot, but I think it would be easier to pour from the presto pot with a spigot. Also, regarding the double boiler style, I hate the moisture going in the air from the double boiler and lately have worried that it may be harder on the lungs....fumes mingled with moisture in the air. Not sure.

The thing I like about the double boiler style is I can remove the one pot and put the other pot with the measured out wax back in to heat back up to the temp I need. The water heats back up real quick. This way I can keep the supplier wax pot at a lower temp. How do you guys work that? I have had the Turkey roaster going and two presto pots at one time. I have seen warmer trays used by some candle makers before, so I got a pancake griddle instead....could find this local. However, the measured out wax does not heat up as fast on there as it does in the double boiler so I just use that to keep my other waxes that I may be using liquified.

I didn't convert my Preso pot either, but I don't use it as a double-boiler. I just melt the wax directly in the Presto pot with the lid off, then I ladle the melted wax into my preheated pour pot, which has been sitting on my electric skillet warming up. I put the preheated pour pot on my scale and press Tare so I can ladle in the right amount. Then I put the pour pot full of melted wax back on my electric skillet to bring the temp back up to 185, then add dye and lastly the FO.

I didn't convert my Preso pot either, but I don't use it as a double-boiler. I just melt the wax directly in the Presto pot with the lid off, then I ladle the melted wax into my preheated pour pot, which has been sitting on my electric skillet warming up. I put the preheated pour pot on my scale and press Tare so I can ladle in the right amount. Then I put the pour pot full of melted wax back on my electric skillet to bring the temp back up to 185, then add dye and lastly the FO.

I have thought about trying that, but my presto pots are coated with water minerals. Your electric skillet must be like the pancake griddle I got. ?? I just got this. What temp do you put it up to, to bring the temp back up? What I have mainly done for my larger orders is melt the wax in the turkey roaster and then transfer some of it to a large pour pot which I put inside the double boiler presto pot and then I take from that pot when I measure and I have another presto pot to bring my wax temp back up on the measured wax. I am trying to get away from the steam but still want to be safe.

I have thought about trying that, but my presto pots are coated with water minerals. Your electric skillet must be like the pancake griddle I got. ?? I just got this. What temp do you put it up to, to bring the temp back up? What I have mainly done for my larger orders is melt the wax in the turkey roaster and then transfer some of it to a large pour pot which I put inside the double boiler presto pot and then I take from that pot when I measure and I have another presto pot to bring my wax temp back up on the measured wax. I am trying to get away from the steam but still want to be safe.

I set my Presto pot to get the wax to about 200 F, and my electric skillet is set to bring the wax to about 185 F so I can add the FO at that temperature, but I had to experiment to find the right spot on the temperature dials. When my wax is in the pour pot on the electric skillet, I keep checking the temperature and if it gets too hot I lift it off the heat for a few seconds. I never leave it alone because by the time I ladle the wax out of the Presto and into the pour pot I'm involved in working with the wax until I pour.

I set my Presto pot to get the wax to about 200 F, and my electric skillet is set to bring the wax to about 185 F so I can add the FO at that temperature, but I had to experiment to find the right spot on the temperature dials. When my wax is in the pour pot on the electric skillet, I keep checking the temperature and if it gets too hot I lift it off the heat for a few seconds. I never leave it alone because by the time I ladle the wax out of the Presto and into the pour pot I'm involved in working with the wax until I pour.

All that makes sense. :) I will try the griddle again even though I am so used to putting the measured wax back in the prest pot with the water in it. It heats so fast. If the griddle works for me and does not take too long, it will decrease the steam in the air.

P.S. What does you skillet look like?

Edited by Holly

Bought mines from Taylored Concepts with the spigot installed.

That is where I saw it before other than Ebay! When I recently ran a search I wondered why I could not find candle supply place where they offered those.

All that makes sense. :) I will try the griddle again even though I am so used to putting the measured wax back in the prest pot with the water in it. It heats so fast. If the griddle works for me and does not take too long, it will decrease the steam in the air.

P.S. What does you skillet look like?

My electric skillet looks like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-16-Electric-Skillet-With-Glass-Cover-06852/5969529 But mine is a different brand, which I can't remember right now. lol But I have experimented with putting water in it, and it's just easier for me to use it without water.

My electric skillet looks like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-16-Electric-Skillet-With-Glass-Cover-06852/5969529 But mine is a different brand, which I can't remember right now. lol But I have experimented with putting water in it, and it's just easier for me to use it without water.

Oh, I like that HS.....Walmart probably has a cheaper one I could pick up for my colors when layering pillars you think?

Unless you want messy ladles and wax dribbing all over creation, definitely get a Presto WITH spigot.

I would like to have a Presto with a spigot, but a candle maker warned me that moisture can accumulate in the spigot and drip water into your wax, which is not good. My ladle isn't messy and I rarely drip any wax, but I keep the pour pot close to the Presto when I'm ladling. Still, I would like to try the one with the spigot.

That is a similar idea to the pancake griddle I have except the lip is taller. I almost got this: http://www.target.com/p/broilking-warming-tray/-/A-10907591 but the griddle was cheaper and I could get it local. Target does not carry the warming trays in the store and I could not find them at a few places I looked at. The warming tray would be safer....some cannot go above 200 and some not above 250. Also, the warming tray has less wattage than the griddle. The shipping would have been free but the griddle was cheaper and will work just the same except the temp can go higher than 250. I never put it above that though. I mainly just use it now to keep my different wax warm. I put foil on top of it in case I change my mind and I will just use it for my kitchen and get the warming tray later if I end up liking that setup. This way the wattage would be less.

I would like to have a Presto with a spigot, but a candle maker warned me that moisture can accumulate in the spigot and drip water into your wax, which is not good. My ladle isn't messy and I rarely drip any wax, but I keep the pour pot close to the Presto when I'm ladling. Still, I would like to try the one with the spigot.

There is a website (can't think of name) and on YouTube showing how to install the spigot. Its really easy. Well, ok....DH converted mine but it only took about 15 minutes and a couple supplies. Just make sure your spigot parts are copper so they conduct the heat. We used JB Weld like they said and it worked out good. It did begin to leak last year after being used for approximately 6-7 years but with a quick fix, I was off melting again.

Edit....Forgot to address the moisture issue.....Not that it can't happen but I've not had any moisture issues with it. I've worked between an exposed lower level basement and kitchen but not a full basement.

Edited by jeanie353

I've never heard of such a thing.

I wish Taylored Concepts was still around! I need another Presto Pot for my used wax. (I've been saving my used up tarts for the past few years to make Fire Starters)....

I finally went through and sorted the wax pucks by color, So I think this will be year I will start making Fire Starters.

I may just buy one from Walmart and use it as is.... Since it will only be used for old wax pucks that still have residual FO left in them, I would never use it for fresh wax.

The eBay spigots looks different compared to my Taylored Concepts one.. Hmmm

If you are handy, Peak has a detailed tutorial at the following link:

http://www.candletech.com/general-information/do-it-yourself-wax-melter/

Those are almost the exact directions I'd run across on another site and YouTube except they said to use JB Weld. I'm sure Peak knows what they are doing so the tape w/o it probably works just fine too.