Trader Joe's Olive Oil

Beezy

I'm not sure its other oils they are using. It seems to me that the adulterated oils are a mix of lower grade olive oil (pomace?)blended with the premium or virgin oil. Because it contains virgin oil this is what its being marketed as. Its very misleading to consumers. Fortunately the oil works great in soaping whether its pure virgin grade or pomace.

Soybean and hazelnut oil are commonly used to cut EVO. Some do use pomace but soy is the most common adulterant according to several sources.

Edited by GrinningGoblin

Soybean and hazelnut oil are commonly used to cut EVO. Some do use pomace but soy is the most common adulterant according to several sources.

Yes - hazelnut is a common one. As is canola, rapeseed and blends of several others that amount to a similar SAP value as Olive.

Keep in mind it's not just OO that's blended. "Cosmetic Grade" oils are also subject to 'blending'.

Pomace is sometimes adulterated too - believe it or not. I had a can of pomace that didn't work for Castile. After researching, found out that the Pomace was cut with 90% Canola.

As for what we eat, I chose Organic Olive from Columbus. They supposedly test the batches for purity.

• 2 years later...

I had read this myself a long time ago. Unfortunately we're going to have to come to grips that there are a lot of companies lying to us so they can sell their products to us and your children. I try to be as natural as I can, but I'm telling ya its damn hard these days. Whenever I go to the grocery store I almost never shop in the middle iles. There is nothing there but crap. Unless I'm at the health food store. I never thought I'd sound like a hippie but I refuse to eat anything that comes out of cardboard or plastic, you know what I mean, right?its just is not right for your body.

Noodlehead

Wow, great information everyone.  This is amazing and very disappointing!

Beezy--I'd love to hear how your soap turns out.  I've been buying mine at Sam's Club.  No doubt it's not 100% either but if the Trader Joe's performs well I'd consider trying it.