I know NOTHING! Help!

rachelb5499

Ok, so I know NOTHING about candlemaking, wax, and tarts, etc. I have done cold process soaps and other bath and body products for years. I think I'd LIKE to slowly delve into tarts and any other wickless products there might be with wax just for curiousity, etc. but I know that all of it isn't just a simple: melt wax and pour it kind of a thing and would never want to insult anyone by leading them to think that.

I've been on this forum for over a year and have read a lot on all kinds of topics and have seen how many different types of just wax there are, let alone issues/complications with wicking, the wax not looking smooth, etc. but it's hard to read every post when you have no idea what they are even going to be about based on the title and my complete lack of knowledge so........

ARE there any books that you read when you started getting interested in candlemaking?

ARE there particular threads you would recommend to read?

ARE there certain supplies you would absolutely recommend to a newbie?

(I saw a thread where someone mentioned a kit, but I'm not much of a "kit" person...I kinda get stuck with a "where do I go from here" thing.)

In CP soap, you learn about different oils and their different characteristics and how they benefit the skin, change the nature of the soap, etc. I imagine wax has it's own thing like that....anywhere to get an initial "crash course" on that so I'm learning and understanding properly?

Any and all advice/hints would be most appreciated!

When I first started I kept googling information and browsing candle supply sites and read all of their "how to" instructions. The hardest part for me was what type of wax to go with and I decided on soy- I have not yet ventured in paraffin

When I came across this forum a whole new world opened up to me- I look back now at the candles and melts I made going off google and supplier sites and it's so funny to me how "horrible" they were!

Everything you need is right here in this forum- decide on a wax you want to start with- soy, paraffin, palm, coconut or a parasoy and just start reading all the posts of information out there on it

Melts/tarts are a easier start with IMO to see how wax plays with scent and different pour temps- they can't really be completely screwed up and if they turn out super ugly chances are they will still smell good for use around your home!

Have fun with it and seeing you do soap you can probably use oils you already have

Well I for one and glad that you are here. Mainly because I was getting lonely being the only person who did not know anything! haha!

I am VERY new and learning like crazy. I agree with the others. I have read, searched, researched, read tutorials, watched videos and asked a LOT of questions.

Fortunately, the kind people here have patiently answered my many questions!

I started with wax brittle (googled it and a tutorial at Rustic Escentuals came up). I have made some tarts in silicone molds but the brittle is super simple so I keep making it. I also like that I can mix a few pieces form a few scents and create something new each time.

I started because I could not find certain scents I wanted (or wished they had "a bit more this" or "a little less this"). A super crafty friend (really, she could have her own show) was appalled that I had not even tried to make tarts to supplement what I buy from others.

So, I tried. First time was just okay because I used what I could find at craft stores.

So, I researched and read and found RE/AH and followed what they used in the wax brittle tutorial and placed my first order. Made my first real batches and I did not burn my house down nor have any other "wax-idents". I felt so accomplished and proud of myself!

So, the message is that if I can do it, anyone can do it!

Thanks Everyone! I'll start looking at the links provided...googling things, and then reading more on the forum and asking questions! Anyone else have thoughts to contribute?

Any tutorials or certain threads that mention the benefits, downsides, qualities, etc. of different waxes?

I know there are "flashpoint" issues,etc. with fragrance oils...do you just look on the manufacturer's site for this info. to see if you can use it in this wax or that wax OR?

I think as far as finished projects, I'd like to do containers, wax melts, and perhaps the "brittle" mentioned.

As far as colorants, I'm 100% assuming you cannot use "regular soaping colorants" but should use "colored chips" like mentioned in the kit that horsescents provided the link to?

Okay, looked at the two tutorials and already have questions...LOL

Here I thought, container candles would be "easier," but then I see how you wick a votive, and I'm wondering if that's really true?

I've read a lot about people complaining about "wicking" and "assumed" that you poured the wax over the wick and that it might move, etc. but in this tutorial from rustic escentuals....they put the wick in AFTER the candle is made. Is this typical?

Also, where does one buy the "presto pot?"

Okay, looked at the two tutorials and already have questions...LOL

Here I thought, container candles would be "easier," but then I see how you wick a votive, and I'm wondering if that's really true?

I've read a lot about people complaining about "wicking" and "assumed" that you poured the wax over the wick and that it might move, etc. but in this tutorial from rustic escentuals....they put the wick in AFTER the candle is made. Is this typical?

Also, where does one buy the "presto pot?"

You can get a Presto Pot (Presto Kitchen Kettle) at your local Wal-Mart, or here is a link to one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06006-Kitchen-multi-cooker-steamer/dp/B002JM202I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340234964&sr=8-1&keywords=presto+kitchen+kettle

Colorants - definitely use colorants made specifically for candles. Soap colorants won't work.

Wicking can be tricky. You have to take into consideration the diameter of your container, the type of wax you're using (soy, paraffin, para-soy, etc.) and additives like fragrance load, colorants, etc. Then, once you determine what might be a good wick to use, you just have to start testing to find what burns properly for your combination of variables. There isn't a perfect "formula" - you just have to begin testing.

Here are some instructions if you're using soy container wax: http://rusticescentuals.com/candle-making-directions.html

To me, votives are the easiest to make because the wicking issues aren't as difficult. :)