These 8-Day Catholic Devotional Candles That Burn 24/7 Unattended Really Impress Me

These tall pillar-shaped container candles are left to burn for days unattended in Catholic chapels. They burn perfect and clean, with no smoke, no soot, no drowning, no chimney effect, no wildly dancing flame, in these tall narrow jars with a small shoulder on top. I don't think I could make a candle burn like this in a tall narrow container, so these really amaze me! Some of them are in glass containers, and some are in shatterproof plastic containers. I've seen even taller ones than this. I don't see how the flame can get enough oxygen to stay lit, but they do. And some have a hurricane glass put over them with an even smaller opening, and they don't overheat or suffocate the flame. If you're ever in the neighborhood of a Catholic chapel, you might want to see these candles up close, because they are very impressive. http://www.catholicsupply.com/churchs/candev.html

Edited by HorsescentS

P.S. But apparently those tall glass candles from the dollar stores with saints on them are not considered safe by Catholics, and their fire chiefs warn them that exploding glass container candles are a common source of house fires. Only the candles from the Catholic Supply for church use are considered safe. Maybe there's a market for hand-poured safe-burning devotional candles for Catholics, in case anybody's interested in making those. I surfed onto a thread where Catholics were trying to find a source of safe container candles because the store-bought ones are so dangerous.

Edited by HorsescentS

I actually make the 7 day devotional candles. I supply them to a couple of shops locally. They burn beautifully (until some moron decides they want to add scented oil of random types to it while it's burning...). I had to do a lot of testing for them to get it right. I was asked to make them after one of the shop owners had a fire from another supplier's version of the same thing. The other supplier's candles are factory produced, and honestly look like crud too, huge bubbles all through the candle. Only problem is that mine are a lot more expensive than the ones produced in China.

I actually make the 7 day devotional candles. I supply them to a couple of shops locally. They burn beautifully (until some moron decides they want to add scented oil of random types to it while it's burning...). I had to do a lot of testing for them to get it right. I was asked to make them after one of the shop owners had a fire from another supplier's version of the same thing. The other supplier's candles are factory produced, and honestly look like crud too, huge bubbles all through the candle. Only problem is that mine are a lot more expensive than the ones produced in China.

I'm so impressed that you know how to make those 7-day devotional candles! Do you use beeswax in them?

Nope. We use a paraffin base. My customer actually doesn't want the beeswax because the cost of the wax is already so frigging high. Each candle takes a little over a pound of wax, and base cost of beeswax is a minimum of $7 per pound when I figure in shipping from anyone.

Nope. We use a paraffin base. My customer actually doesn't want the beeswax because the cost of the wax is already so frigging high. Each candle takes a little over a pound of wax, and base cost of beeswax is a minimum of $7 per pound when I figure in shipping from anyone.

I think it's amazing that you can wick those candles to burn so nicely in that tall narrow jar.

I have seen them in our parish. I think Fillmore Container sells the jars but I don't know how "safe" they are.

We're always warned against power burning our candles because they might overheat, so I'm really intrigued by the way these candles can be safely burned 24/7 for 7 or 8 days.

I recommend that they don't powerburn them, just because I can't safely test every single container I get. But I have used the ones from Filmore and also some from General Wax over in California. I prefer the ones from Gen Wax because they hold a bit more and it's easier to accomplish the "7 day" thing. I also make "drop in" candles for the jars for refills for folks. That's very slow to gain popularity though.

I recommend that they don't powerburn them, just because I can't safely test every single container I get. But I have used the ones from Filmore and also some from General Wax over in California. I prefer the ones from Gen Wax because they hold a bit more and it's easier to accomplish the "7 day" thing. I also make "drop in" candles for the jars for refills for folks. That's very slow to gain popularity though.

Have you tried advertising in the church bulletins they hand out after Mass?

Also, I would think Catholic book stores might buy wholesale from you, or sell them on consignment.

Edited by HorsescentS

I've thought about it, but a couple things are stopping me. One of them is that the couple book store owners I have spoken with pretty much are not overly happy that I'm not part of their religious flock. *shrug* I kinda gave up with them.

I've thought about it, but a couple things are stopping me. One of them is that the couple book store owners I have spoken with pretty much are not overly happy that I'm not part of their religious flock. *shrug* I kinda gave up with them.

Oh, I know what you mean.