Loaf Mold Questions

Beezy

1. Does anyone have the dimensions to make a Wooden Soap Mold?

I've found some online, but they seem like smaller bars. I was looking for a "standard" bar. (big enough to hold a 74.03oz recipe)

2. Also, Do you think it would be safe to use a long loaf Wilton Pan (made of Aluminum : http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30C8D2-475A-BAC0-50D5896A4D08661D&killnav=1 )

IF, and this is a BIG if. I were to line the mold with thick butcher paper, and there would be no chance of the soap touching the Aluminum pan... Or should I just keep it safe and stick to silicone/wood?

Edited by Beezy

*I* would stick to silicone or wood, but others may chime in here. As far as the dimensions go, since I totally suck at math, I would start out by looking at some of the moldmaker's log mold dimensions and see what they are running as far as soap volume. At least that might help give you an idea of how big/small you need to go. Upland's not around anymore (which makes me sad) but there are still some other good moldmakers out there. I looked into having a slab mold made for me, and it was a bit spendy at the time. If you're crafty enough to make a mold, that's great! Best of luck and sorry I wasn't more help.

****IF, and this is a BIG if. I were to line the mold with thick butcher paper, and there would be no chance of the soap touching the Aluminum pan... Do you think I would be OK? Or should I just keep it safe and stick to silicone/wood?

and Thanks, Asheebeans.. I have a table saw I've never used..LOL.. Thinking it will due the trick.. I don't want to cut my hand off, so I may have my friend who works at Home Depot cut it for me!

I don't know of anything that states what a standard bar size is. A mold that holds 74 oz of oils for one may not for someone else considering the lye solution strength, etc. I soap at 40-50% lye solution. That size wouldn't fill my mold even if it fit yours perfectly, KWIM?

There's also no 'standard' recipe size - which is why calculators such as SoapCalc, SummerBeeMeadow, Soapmaker and a good old calculator are so popular. Find a recipe you like, then turn it into a 'formula' that allows for easy sizing no matter what size mold you decide to use that day.

I would choose that size bar I want, then go to town building a mold for it. Costs are minimal when making your own, so if it's not what you ultimately want you're not out much $. This is exactly what I did when starting out many years ago. I thought I wanted one specific size bar, then changed my mind as I went along. Thought I wanted a slab. Again changed my mind later. After a few years I standardized to my current dimensions. My slew of molds still sit in my workshop and get put to use once in a while, so there's no lost $.

As for aluminum. Never, NEver, NEVer, NEVEr, NEVER use with CP - no matter how well you *think* you have it lined. Butcher paper is not impervious to tears or weak spots. Likewise, it takes nothing to accidentally spill some raw soap on the counter then accidentally have it come into contact with the pan causing the release of deadly gasses. Just not worth the risk. I'd choose a cardboard box before risking the aluminum exposure.

Thanks Talltayl.. My crazy ass needed to hear that... I would of tried and found out the hard way!.. I knew it was bad... but if the mold was wrapped 100% I don't see why it would hurt. lol

I guess i'll be sticking to wood/silicone molds.

The primary gas released when aluminum reacts with sodium hydroxide is hydrogen, which is flammable, though you won't produce enough to be hazardous unless you're mixing granulated aluminum with strong lye at high temperature. With raw soap you likely won't produce a catastrophic reaction but will probably end up with a black coating of oxidation anywhere on the soap that moisture permeates. You could theoretically use the aluminum pan as a form if you line it completely with something that is waterproof like a trash liner if you are trying to make use of something you already have, but if you are planning on purchasing the wilton pan for soap use I would pass.

I have a wood mold I made for my first few batches and it was definitely cheap but I hate lining it. I found a seller on etsy that has HDPE molds that don't have to be lined. I still lay parchment paper in the bottom that covers the sides too, but I don't have to worry about the corners or ends. I love them, I am thinking about buying a slab mold from the same vendor.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Talltayl.. My crazy ass needed to hear that... I would of tried and found out the hard way!.. I knew it was bad... but if the mold was wrapped 100% I don't see why it would hurt. lol

I guess i'll be sticking to wood/silicone molds.

Right - if you are 100% sure it is 100% wrapped 100% of the time then yes it wouldn't hurt. But really, why risk it?