floating candles

hi everyone.

I have been trying to make floating pool candles that last a decent amount of time-3-4 hrs or so. I have made them out of tart molds. they burn no more than 1 1/2-2 hrs.

I want to use soy waxes. any advice on molds etc? I live in Florida and we all have pools. I think it would be a good thing to market for weddings/ outdoor events. I just need something with a decent burn. any help would be appreciated!

I was able to get these to last more than 2 hours. Dunno about 4 hours, but think close. Small wick makes them last longer. I liked that these have a base that goes into the water pretty deep and it tends to keep the flower from turning upside down.

Right where the rose pedals go into the stem, the wax is pretty thin and tends to burn through and extinguish. I modified the mold to make the wax thicker in that area.

http://www.candlewic.com/Store/Product.aspx?q=c51,p318&title=Rose-Floater-Mold

I just completed a floater order for a wedding. they wanted them to last 5 hours. I knew I couldn't guarantee that with a regular tart mold, so here is what I did:

I bought the fluted tart molds from Bed, bath & beyond - they're a bit bigger. I poured halfway up the mold, let it harden, then placed a tealight in the middle of that and poured the rest of the way. I left the tealight sticking up a little so that no water would reach the wick.. They worked well.

I just completed a floater order for a wedding. they wanted them to last 5 hours. I knew I couldn't guarantee that with a regular tart mold, so here is what I did:

I bought the fluted tart molds from Bed, bath & beyond - they're a bit bigger. I poured halfway up the mold, let it harden, then placed a tealight in the middle of that and poured the rest of the way. I left the tealight sticking up a little so that no water would reach the wick.. They worked well.

so how many mm was the tealight sticking up? were the molds from bb&b metal or silicone? this is a good idea. the bride didn't mind the embedded tealight?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the original poster was asking about pool floaters, which are totally different animals from floaters that are burned in a container(usually indoors).

A small sized, small wicked pool floater will not work well at all. I have made, tested and sold thousands of pool floaters for over 8 years now. I test designs in my own pool, in a usually pretty windy area of the country. I do not use beeswax or soy, only paraffin and gel. All of my pool designs burn for a minimum of 8 hours; some over 15 hours. Most weigh at least half a pound.

For a pool, you want a larger flame(to stand up to breezes), and to get a long burn time, you need a larger size. I have found you need approx. a 5" diameter design. If using a smaller diameter design, you need at least a 3" depth. If you're making a pool floater to accomodate a tealight or votive, you must make the depth of the hole where either the tealight or votive will be inserted at least 1/2" taller than the tealight or votive. The wicks used in both are too small to stand up to breezes.:tiptoe: HTH

hi Bernadette

I am looking to make poolcandles. I have a pool at my house and have only made the tart sizes. with breezes etc its bad. where would I get a mold for 3 inch candles? do you think I could use pbpillar wax?

brioche_mold_large.jpg

The pan above (Brioche Mold) is what you are looking for. Several years ago I bought 3 of these from Candle and Supplies, but they no longer carry these pans. They measure 8" across x 3-1/4" deep. In wax weight they will hold 2-1/2 lbs of wax- I triple wick mine w/51's and use 4625 pillar wax......these are HUGE floaters and they will make the impact that you are looking for. I use pillar wax only so that when burning, wax doesn't go flowing into the pool, hot tub, galvanized tub...whatever they are placing these in. I did a search and found these at Pastrychef.com ...they sell these for $14.99 each .... BUT they should last you forever. I sell mine for over $20 each... Hope this helps..:smiley2:

Edited by puma52

Hi! No I don't have any pictures of these in a pool, but they are an awesome size for galvanized tubs or hot tubs or pools....they are quite impressive...one of the people who have bought these off of me said that she put hers in a galvanized tub surrounded by flowers and she said that everyone loves them. Another idea is to surround this candle with other smaller floating candles ...would make for a beautiful evening party/wedding setting. :smiley2:

I took an exacto knife and cut away some of the mold which resulted in more wax being added to where the base intersects the pedals.

Bernadette has a point. The pool is rough water compared to a salad bowl. Larger and more stable floaters make sense.

In one of the swaps I sent out some of the flower floaters and heard that one of the husbands was fascinated with how it burned and spun in the bathtub. Very different from a pool with wind.

Edited by EricofAZ