Libbey Cylinder Jar with Flat Lid at Hobby Lobby

I saw some nice Libbey Cylinder jars with flat glass lids at Hobby Lobby. They were on a shelf next to the Libbey Vibe jars. Hobby Lobby was having their biweekly or monthly 50% off sale on glassware, so each jar with lid would only be $2.00 on sale. That's really good, isn't it?

I checked the Libbey business-to-business catalog online to see if those jars are approved for candle making, and I did see the jars in the B2B section, but I can't tell if they can safely be used for making candles. I guess I can call Libbey and ask them?

But, if they can be used for making candles, that's a great source of local candle jars with lids, right?

Edited by HorsescentS

I use the cylinder jars for my container candles and double wick. Actually $2.00 each is rather high!

$2.00 each is high? How much can you get them for with lids and shipping?

I just checked the price of the 15 oz Libbey cylinder jar with the X-large flat glass lid on Lone Star, and if I buy 48 jars and lids it's $3.00 each including shipping.

Also, can I be sure the Libbey cylinder jars at Hobby Lobby are the same ones the candle suppliers carry?

Edited by HorsescentS

Oops I take that back, I forgot shipping......so yes that $2.00 would be a good price.

Yay! :yay: Thanks, ChrisR! If you happen to mosey on over to Hobby Lobby to check out their Libbey Cylinders, please let us know if they carry the exact same jars that you use. You can also see them on their website in several sizes. I think I only saw two sizes on the shelves, a short and a tall.

For anyone who has never bought jars on sale at Hobby Lobby: They don't keep that many jars on their shelves, so if you want to buy jars on sale during the 50% off, just pick out the jar you want and take it up to the cashier and they'll ask you to fill out a form with the model number so you can order as many cases as you want. It only takes them a couple of days to get your cases in.

Edited by HorsescentS

• 3 weeks later...
Oops I take that back, I forgot shipping......so yes that $2.00 would be a good price.

I got a Hobby Lobby gift card for my birthday, :party: and I'm probably going to use it to buy some Libbey Cylinder jars on their next 50% off sale. I know you double wick, but I think for 4627 wax I might have to triple wick. I'll buy two of them to experiment with first, and I will be so thrilled if they work and I can buy them by the case locally. :cakegirl:

That is the jar that I am testing for my new line. However, I will not be using lids....don't like the large plastic seal that shows more so than it would with necked jars. I wish I could find the pretty metal lids like Bath and Body Works. You can find those jars at Early American Candle Company. There are some other places as well but cannot recall right now. You can order them with the lid or without. I will be packaging them in a box. This will be my double wicked line. They have wider ones as well that can be triple wicked. I have not decided on which one for sure yet.

Edited by Holly

That is the jar that I am testing for my new line. However, I will not be using lids....don't like the large plastic seal that shows more so than it would with necked jars. I wish I could find the pretty metal lids like Bath and Body Works. You can find those jars at Early American Candle Company. There are some other places as well but cannot recall right now. You can order them with the lid or without. I will be packaging them in a box. This will be my double wicked line. They have wider ones as well that can be triple wicked. I have not decided on which one for sure yet.

I'm not fond of the plastic fitment that shows through on all the glass jars either, and I agree the metal lids are prettier. But, I'm going to go ahead and use the glass lids anyway because the lid keeps dust off the wax and preserves the CT, and because it's such a good deal to get both the jar and lid for only $2.00. I think a lot of people like a lid and see it as only functional for storage purposes, once they've burned the candle.

I wish I could double wick it, but 4627 is so viscous I'll probably have to triple wick. I'd also like to use the Libbey Heart bowl from Dollar Tree, which I would just wrap in cello. They look so pretty in bright colors.

I'm not fond of the plastic fitment that shows through on all the glass jars either, and I agree the metal lids are prettier. But, I'm going to go ahead and use the glass lids anyway because the lid keeps dust off the wax and preserves the CT, and because it's such a good deal to get both the jar and lid for only $2.00. I think a lot of people like a lid and see it as only functional for storage purposes, once they've burned the candle.

I wish I could double wick it, but 4627 is so viscous I'll probably have to triple wick. I'd also like to use the Libbey Heart bowl from Dollar Tree, which I would just wrap in cello. They look so pretty in bright colors.

I agree regarding the reasons for the lid. I may end up using them. The box will work fine for packaging but you are right, it is not easy to store without the lid. I was not focusing on that even though I know that is an issue. Thanks for reminding me. I also know what you mean about a viscous wax....have worked with 4627 before. The 70/30 that I used to use for some of my applications and may be the one that I use for this application, burns down more than out which is also very common with soy waxes. Usually, the blends do not do this that much but this wax sure does. I have another wax that I am testing so not sure yet which one I am going to use. If I chooose the 70/30 I may have to triple wick as well (tried it in one jar) as long as I can get it wicked safely - does not get too hot. Since these jars do not have a neck (curve, etc.) they do not burn as hot, which makes them perfect for double wicking and triple wicking for sure in the larger jars.

Post some pictures when you get them done and I will too! :)

Edited by Holly

P.S. I should check our Hobby Lobby and see if they have these on sale as well. Thanks for the heads up. A great time to buy some to test in. I have not bought any from a vendor yet....just picked up 3 of them at the stores to see if they were going to work. I picked up the taller one as well. When

I agree regarding the reasons for the lid. I may end up using them. The box will work fine for packaging but you are right, it is not easy to store without the lid. I was not focusing on that even though I know that is an issue. Thanks for reminding me. I also know what you mean about a viscous wax....have worked with 4627 before. The 70/30 that I used to use for some of my applications and may be the one that I use for this application, burns down more than out which is also very common with soy waxes. Usually, the blends do not do this that much but this wax sure does. I have another wax that I am testing so not sure yet which one I am going to use. If I chooose the 70/30 I may have to triple wick as well (tried it in one jar) as long as I can get it wicked safely - does not get too hot. Since these jars do not have a neck (curve, etc.) they do not burn as hot, which makes them perfect for double wicking and triple wicking for sure in the larger jars.

Post some pictures when you get them done and I will too! :)

I have a lot of dogs, and if I leave a candle uncovered for a long time, it collects dust and pet hair. YUCK! I know what you mean about the soy and parasoy burning down more than out; that's what the 6006 did for me. I will definitely post pics, and I look forward to seeing yours too.

I've used these jars with 4627 and found double wicking with LX10's, 12's, or 14's depending on the FO worked good. :cool2:

Thank you so much, Chris! I really appreciate the tip. :cheesy2:

I was just at Hobby Lobby looking at the jars, and the short Libbey Cylinder is $4.99 now full price, so it would be about $2.50 on sale. I guess they raised the price a bit. I'm leaning towards the taller one, though.

They also have metered Ball mason jars and Libbey Vibe jars. I'm going to research wicking the Vibes and see if it's even possible with 4627.

Edited by HorsescentS