Soap survey

Choobs

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I've been racking my brains trying to think where I can find people who may be interested in completing my short survey - and I thought where better to try than a soap forum!

I've been making cold process soaps for years and I'm considering starting up a small business selling them. I'm trying to complete some market research as I've mainly just sold them to people I know and I want to get a broader response.

The survey will only take 5 minutes at the most and is multiple choice. I would be so grateful if anyone could find the time to complete this!

The link is:

Http://app.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/sophie-3/homemade-soap/

I took your survey but I think the answers from people on a soap forum may give different results than the people you're planning to sell to. I think it's safe to assume we're here because we love homemade soap. Since I make my own, I seldom buy it online due to shipping charges but I will buy it at a craft show or farmer's market to see how it compares to my own.

Jade, I saw this post yesterday, and after reading the questions, I had/have the same opinion as you. While a lot of the questions were relevant to anyone, there was a lot that, considering the fact we are crafters and are more likely to either do something, or not do something.. I think that might mislead the results they need in the poll.

Now that I've made my own soap, I'd be more willing to pay 5.00 a bar for one........ but until about 2 months ago when I made my first soap??? I wouldn't have ever dreamed of paying 5 bucks for a bar of soap, especially since I loved my liquid soaps.

Same way with lotions and a 15.00 candle I could get at Walmart for 5.00. Until I'd made my own, figured out what all went into making a handcrafted product, and how much better most of them are.. I couldn't justify the cost in my own head.

Edited by blacktieaffair

I just took the survey but also feel my answers may be different than a consumer after making CP soap myself to appreciate the quality of handmade vs store purchased along with the work that goes into it.

Until I made it, it was inconceivable for me to realize the difference to justify the cost per bar. I thought the question about adding more info about the ingredients would appeal to buyers and help sales. Some consumers are homemade educated in that many times they will receive a better product than commercial but I think most/many are not. I used to think soap is soap in that it is either a bit more moisturizing or its not and I could get that at Walmart.

Another question asked was if packaging would make a difference. For me, what is most important before I would purchase soap from anyone is that the bar of soap is sealed or totally covered. If the seller didn't mention that, I wouldn't be buying it. Second, after that would be label appeal - if I was a non-crafting consumer.