frosting

I'm testing GB464 and would like to use dyes in my candles. I had read to try coconut oil to reduce frosting. I tried that and out of the same pour, 1 - 8 oz jelly jar, and 2 - 4 oz jelly jars, the 8 oz looks great (no frosting), and the 4 oz jars still have frosting. I poured at about 100 degrees, did not heat the jars, put them on a cooling rack and covered with a box. I'm very confused about why the smaller jars still got frosting, when the larger one did not.

I used coconut oil from the grocery store and just last night read a recipe that called for fractionated coconut oil. Will the fractionated coconut oil do anything different than the regular coconut oil??

Any advice would be appreciated. I did order a sample of CB Advanced to try. It should be here today. Yay! I'm so excited to try it!!

Frosting was a major headache for me bc I was using 464 and 444 w/ no additives. I used to dye. I asked a chemist what could counter the frosting, etc. She said 100% soy wax is "amorphous" which means that under pressure, it readily forms little crystals (which is the frosting). That's why with cooler temps, wax contracts, more pressure, more crystals. I have had candles that were dyed that I poured and looked good for 2 weeks or more and then developed the dreaded frosting starting on base. Coolest. According to the chemist, you would have to add a lot of additives or blend with paraffin to counter this natural process. I lost so many dyed candles that I was unable to sell bc they were so unsightly.

About 1 month ago I switched to undyed candles and it was the best decision I have ever made. Customers don't mind and actually some women seem to prefer undyed (more natural, doesn't clash w/ decor, etc.) As long as the candle smells good that's all that matters.

Do yourself a favour and consider going dye free if you are using 100% soy. I don't regret it and sales are still as good or better.

Obviously undyed candles still frost; it is just not that obvious. You have to look right at it under bright light. In other words, you really can't see it easily. You won't regret it. And if you have dye left over, and decide to go dye free, just post it on the classifieds on this forum. Someone who maybe uses paraffin will be sure to buy it. Good luck. :)