Fragrances Morphing In Plastic Containers.....Please Help!

glowworm

I have been struggling with this for as long as I have been making clamshells and I just cant take it anymore:angry2: It seems like all of my vanilla or cinnamon based fragrances take on a very stinky smell, a mix between smelly feet and plastic, in my clamshell molds. It happens almost immediately once I put the cover and sometimes even right after I pour. It cant be my pouring temps because it only happens with these scents. I use a parasoy and have poured anywhere from 140 -160 and get the same result everytime. It doesn't affect the hot throw at all, only the cold throw so I am at a total loss as to what is happening.:confused:

Now, I just recently starting using portion cups as well and to my surprise, no more weird smell. The portion cups have the little 5 in the triangle on the bottom but the clamshells....who knows. I have purchased them from various suppliers including bcn, rustic escentuals and have an order in for more at eclamshell now. So my guess is its the particular plastic that makes the difference. But, what are my options? I don't want to sell all of these fragrances in portion cups solely but I cant have them stink either.

Does anyone know where I could purchase higher quality clamshells that are made with the same plastic as the portion cups that I could use for these fragrances or any other packaging suggestions? Any help would be really appreciated :)

• 2 months later...

I'm glad to know its not just me:) I had hoped by now I would have found the solution but unfortunately not. Actually my search for better quality clamshells got worse after my first (and last) order from eclamshells. They were definitely a better deal money wise but as far as quality...not so much. As far as my stinky feet scents the only thing that seems to help is keeping them as fresh as possible....cutting down my fragrance load also helps a bit but then in turn makes them less strong. Still no problems with the portion cups though....go figure?

Mine with Vanilla also discolor, despite me putting in UV inhibitor. There are some fragrances that do this with a vanilla base and some that do not and it is so irritating because without testing, into a clamshell and keeping it for long periods of time, you won't know unless you do an overpour and decide to keep it for yourself....thats when I always discover this situation.