Fundraiser questions

LynnS

Still have more questions.I know I provide the order forms,tally sheet etc.They take the orders.We(me and organization) set a time span on how long it lasts (usually 3 weeks) and the checks are supposed to be collected/made out to the group.Do we get all or part payment to start the order??? And anything else you can offer to help me with this.This is out of state.I have a couple wholesale orders out of state and no problem but this will be my first fundraiser if I get it.Not sure what organization yet.I am working with a individual who wants to do if for a cause or else someone approached her to do one????

Any other good pointers????

LynnS

My standard is money up front. If it is a school or group that we work with every year, sometimes twice a year, I will just wait and collect when. However if it is a new group I request the money up front and have never had anyone blink an eye. They already have their money so why shouldn't we get ours. Also this helps if the check bounces. That way you know before hand and they can provide a cashiers check to replace.

Absolutely money up front.

Whatever you're doing, deal with ONE PERSON only. A friend of a friend? No way, no how.

Honestly, I wouldn't even give it a second thought until talking with the one person in charge. You've already expended far more energy and worry than it's worth at this point.

I get all the money up front then they get theirs. If I get $5 for the candle and they get $5 I get all up front like that or they take their share. I know checks are made out to the person or group dong the fundraiser then they write me a check.I cash it,do he order then mail it.

What is a good approx time to have one done.Does it depend on the order?How big or how small?Then you set a time span.I heard some groups have some large fundraisers and it is done maybe in 2 parts.As the orders come the organizer starts mailing the money so not alot on the candlemaker at once.Is that right????

LynnS

I make all order forms and also tally sheets.

I think I will tell the group to add a little per candle to defray shipping.I still find the flat rate boxes are best.Shipping candles is expensive with the weight. When you get the regular postal boxes have them weighed and measured it gets expensive.What are your thoughts. I've only done a few wholesales and use flat rate.

LynnS

They would just send you the $5 per candle plus whatever you charge them for shipping. they keep their profits.

I have 2 customers that have fundraisers that sell about 1000 candles/each during the fall which as you know is the busy season. One of them only offers one fragrance to sell so she will send me enough money for m 500 candles in advance. That allows me to order the jars, wax, and fragrances in bulk and also lets us get a head start on making the candles. She decides on her fragrance in August so we can get a jump start. Once they have sold over 500 she let me know each time they get order for 100 until it is done.

The other customer that sells 1000 faxes orders to me as they come in. Theirs if for harvest festival queen so there is always a big push the last week(They sell for about 5 weeks) They send money every 2 weeks to keep us going.

All the other funraisers I do(90 % of our business) are generally 300 candles or less. I tell everyone to allow 2 weeks for delivery. Since I live in Texas and alot of the oils I get are from Ohio etc it can take a week for some of the oils to get here. I refuse to pay extra freight to get here in 2 days unless I make a calculation mistake. Usually I have their candles ready in 1 week unless they sell alot of something that I don't keep alot of stock of.

Also for almost all my customers I deliver the candles or meet them half way. Maybe that is just a Texas thing. Its nothing to drive 8 hours in a day for us. I have shipped some on a pallet to South Dakota before but the others I just deliver. One of the 1000 candle customers is a 4 hour 1 way drive but it is much cheaper for me to deliver than to ship those some other way. Plus I get to meet them face to face and helps secure the business for next year. Customer Service is part of why my customers use me.

This lady is in another state.Ohio to PA. If my husband didn't work 7 days a week could be a possibity but never checked the mileage.

I would like it that way.Deliver 1/2 way for most of the fundraisers. Would save the group some money.Just gas and better than shipping costs today.

I buy most of my supplies in Ohio but some fragrances online.Shipping seemed like a day or 2 longer the last few months.

LynnS