Stupid question, but...

I think what your asking is do you melt the wax and then weigh out 1 pound and add 1 ounce to that or do you just add 1 pound dry wax and melt it without weighing it again and then add 1 ounce?

If so..... I weigh dry wax 1 pound and melt it- transfer it to my heated pour pot and then add the FO at 175

I do not re- weigh it - whether that is wrong or not I don't know for sure but I read somewhere that the weight is not going to change only the volume- so I never really weighed it to see

Thanks moonshine, Yep, that is what I meant. Weigh before the wax is melted or after?

I sort of did it both ways, but wasn't sure everytime I read 1oz pp wax, if that meant dry or melted wax.

Thanks guys and girls :)

Always learning that is for sure :) I guess I should find what is easiest for me and what works and then stick to it. Glad people do do it differently because then it wasn't really a stupid question. lol.

16 ounces (1 pound) of wax on a scale will weigh 1 pound whether in a solid or liquid form. If you melt a pound of solid wax it will still weigh a pound when liquid so it actually makes no difference if it's solid or liquid; a pound is a pound. If the wax is in a liquid form it will overflow if you try to pour it into a 16 fluid ounce container; that is regarding the volume and really doesn't make a difference as far as your original question goes.

That's the reason you should always weigh your wax & FO on a scale. If you are using wax in the solid form you can weigh it directly on the scale and then melt it. If you melt a few pounds of wax and want to pour off a pound you have to mess with the tare to subtract the container's weight. When starting out it's much easier to start with weighing it in a solid form. As you get more comfortable with the measurements ... or if you need to start making larger batches ... you can convert to working with the tare feature.

I always add the FO to melted wax. HTH

Edited by Judy, USMC

You're going to find it a lot easier once you determine how much liquid your jars will comfortably hold with room for the wick under the lid. I use 8 oz of fragranced wax in my 12 oz salsa jars. The jar could hold more but the cost of the candle is held down and customers aren't going to ask you for a 10 oz candle KWIM? Some adhesion to jar walls is affected when you pour past the bend or into the neck of the jar. It's really not hard once you get all the specifics. So, I can pour two candles with 15 oz of wax and 1 oz of fragrance and none left over or wasted. Make sense?

Steve

Same here. A while ago I read on BCS' website:

1 pound of Soy wax by weight will equal approx. 18 oz of liquid when melted.

http://www.bittercreeksouth.com/waxes.htm

I have found this to be accurate. I add 1 oz. FO to this amount of wax for most fragrances.

Yes, you will get a little less out of 1 lb of melted soy than you will for 1 melted lb of paraffin. With paraffin, I have enough left from 1 lb to pour several tarts and/or tea lights. With soy, I do not....when filling two of my usual jars.

You're going to find it a lot easier once you determine how much liquid your jars will comfortably hold with room for the wick under the lid. I use 8 oz of fragranced wax in my 12 oz salsa jars. The jar could hold more but the cost of the candle is held down and customers aren't going to ask you for a 10 oz candle KWIM? Some adhesion to jar walls is affected when you pour past the bend or into the neck of the jar. It's really not hard once you get all the specifics. So, I can pour two candles with 15 oz of wax and 1 oz of fragrance and none left over or wasted. Make sense?

Steve

Actually I find the opposite. I seem to get more confused and mess up my FO percentages when I do it the required quantity way. That is why I thought I would try the 1oz to 1lb way. I found with wicks I got 3 of my 8oz tins poured. This also included the FO and 1.5tablespoons CO. (Trying to get C3 to look smooth after a burn...but now considering going the para-soy and adding some paraffin to my C3) ...but then did read it has something to do with the FO, but all seem to do it to me.

Judy: The volume makes sense. I think sometimes I got confused with that aswell (yep...easily confused here, especially with trial and errror stuff!)