Help for a newbie?

Hi all! I'm Lori..... :) Experienced soapmaker but total candle noob. I am so enjoying trying out candlemaking and soaking up all the knowledge here! I have a few questions, I hope someone can help me with. At the moment, I am trying out the IGI 4627 wax and making "dessert candles" with whipped wax tops. (I know, I know....walk before I crawl, much?!) They are just for home and I'm not trying to sell or anything. I made three in those smallish "status" jars from dollar tree - 3 inches across maybe. I have read that this wax needs wicking up and I used what, to me, seems like a huge wick (HTP- 1212) in a Clementine Cupcake FO candle. All seems to be going well from the little info I have to go on. Not too hot, no smoking, no flickering flame, good throw etc. Here are my questions:

1.) The melt pool isnt quite all the way to the edge - almost, but maybe 1/4 inch away. I have heard HTP wicks are recommended so...what gives? Any ideas? I think there's only one bigger sized wick in the HTP series, right?

2.) Can you decorate whipped wax with regular sugar sprinkles? I did that and they dont seem to be hurting anything except that the wax pool seems to be a little bubbly, and I'm guessing that the sugar is doing that, so I'm wondering it they can clog a wick? How do you guys make whipped wax all decorated and cute?

3.) Do I need a harder wax for whipped tops? This wax doesnt ever seem to get rock hard and if it sticks up over the edge of the candle, I'm guessing it would smoosh if I ever DID sell and ship someday. What's the skinny on whipped wax?

Thank so much for any information you can help me with. You guys make beautiful candles! :smiley2:

For #1 - you don't say where in your test you are - are you referring to the first 3 hour burn, or 2nd....

#2 - I do use regular cake sprinkles on some of my items, like cupcakes. They have not caused a problem - they just sit in the melt pool and are discarded with the last of the wax at the end of the burn. Some people will disagree with using these - but I do, and don't have any problems.

#3 - I use my pillar wax pariffin for whipping - for me, it works much better than the softer container waxes.

HTH