I made my first body butter

mzphee

:yay::yay:I made my first batch of whipped body butter, this was Kimberlys recipe but I tweaked it a little to work with the items I had one hand ok this is what I used....6.5oz of shea, 1.5oz of mango butter,2 1/2 oz of SAO,2tsp of cornstarch and .5oz of FO pink layered frosting cake from just scents, and 2drops of red dye...and then I whipped like crazy with my handheld mixer, I used the cold bath method because my pyrex cup was to large to fit in the freezer. i let it set in the fridge overnight and its very firm I can scoop it out on my hand but it doesnt feel whipped so not sure what I did wrong.. ok enough here are the pictures any help will be appreciated

th_IMAG0044.jpg?t=1332942134th_IMAG0043.jpg?t=1332942280th_IMAG0041.jpg?t=1332942280this is the first day

these are after being in the fridge for 24 hrsth_IMAG0049.jpg?t=1332942280th_IMAG0051.jpg?t=1332942280

any help please, how can I keep this fluffy and whipped and not whipped and firm like cold butter...it does melt in my hand but I have to scoop it out

Once it's at whipped cream stage you spoon it into your jars and let set up. No refrigeration needed unless you want it to set up quicker. You can let it set out til it's room temp, stir it up and then put in jars. I have done that with extras when I ran out of jars. I refrierated it til my jars came in.

Mine took almost an hour to whip but I don't have a KA. I used a hand mixer with in between zaps with the stick blender. Once it began to cool is when it began to whip a lot better. If/when I make it again, I think I will put mine in the refrig a bit to cool it down to save on whipping time but it did whip up nice and fluffy with a bit of a firm texture...which I like. It appeared much like yours does from the pics...just a little fluffier.

I like this recipe a lot, it made a large amount but think I'll take a little of something out and sub something else in next time to cut back the greasy just a little bit.

Mine takes about 45 minutes of whipping with a KA, I am guessing you didn`t whip it quite enough, it will still be great body butter.

No wonder mine took so long...lol. It is a great butter. I made mine for personal use while am learning B&B and prefer just a tiny bit less greasy. If/when I begin selling, I will use the original recipe because it is wonderful. My feet were soft as a baby's butt after using it.

thank you all, I whipped for 20 min took a break put on ice then whipped another 20min then back on ice, and again for about 10-15 then placed in the ridge over night. After I let it get to room temp today its back softer than out of the ridge, I have to say I do love it it is a bit greasy when I first place it on but then it feels silky after about five minutes. I did a moisture test lol...I washed my hands with a bar of M&P soap AOH I made about a month or so ago, which I think dries my hands out, then I rubbed in a small amount of the whipped butter on my hands, I then washed my hands again and I could see the water beaded up and running off my hand...so it is very moisturizing lol

I thought it felt greasy too but I am not a body butter person so I gave some away and asked their opinions, everyone loved it, go figure! It's not something I would use on my hands but I does seem to absorb quickly on the body like it should. I started not leveling my tsp of corn starch and just put heaping tsp in there, it has made a big difference to me.

I thought it felt greasy too but I am not a body butter person so I gave some away and asked their opinions, everyone loved it, go figure! It's not something I would use on my hands but I does seem to absorb quickly on the body like it should. I started not leveling my tsp of corn starch and just put heaping tsp in there, it has made a big difference to me.

thats good to know, while I was making I started to do the exact same thing with the cornstarch and I thought I better not but now I will and see how that works. I do like it and it does absorb but I wish it wouldnt go on so greasy, next time im going to sub my SAO with a little oil and see how that works, not sure but im going to try it. Now I read cocoa butter makes it hard but I would like to try that also. have you sub cocoa butter or added a little to see how it works? I wonder would that keep it from melting when the temps are up out side?

For less greasiness you can try FCO or jojoba. I also add a little bit of cyclo and also IPM to help cut the greasiness. Remember that it is a butter, so there will be no way to get rid of the greasies 100%. I ADORE using this after my shower!!! I've also made one with some cocoa butter, it does make it a bit firmer, and not so whippy so I just use the mango/shea mixture. To me this would be more of a winter product because it will most likely melt too easily in the summer heat. Most people I know won't ship it in the summer at all.