how to make wax crumbles (for a tart warmer)?

megandgarr

What is the best method for making wax crumbles? I did a search but only found a couple of older posts. Should I just pour the wax on a cookie sheet and then break or chop the wax into pieces as it cools? I am looking for more of a crumbled look as opposed to brittle with sharp edges, but any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Thanks for the input Brandy.

Morethanrubies,

I actually just finished a batch using the whipping method which I read about from older posts. After I added my FO and allowed it to cool a bit I stirred by hand, stirred some more, and stirred, and stirred, and stirred (good grief) using the mixer attachment from an old hand mixer (didnt have an old whisk) then poured it into a flat glass dish. I started crumbling it and it did crumble, however it is still a bit warm and pliable, so I am going to let the wax harden before I do anything with more with it.

When you use the whip method, about how long do you have to whip the wax? Do you do it by hand, or do you use a hand mixer? That was a lot of work, plus there was a lot of waiting around while it cooled.

Next time I might try another method that I also read about, which is to lay it out flat on a cookie sheet, then use the food processor to break it into pieces. But I am not sure if the wax would still need to be whipped prior to putting it on the cookie sheet, or if the wax could simply be poured on a cookie sheet right after blending it with FO then into a food processor. hmmm, might have to give that a try too...

I mix the FO & wax in my pour pot, let it set until it startes to set up, scrap the sides of the pot with a mayo spreader - do this a few times until the wax is almost cool then turn into a pie pan and chop it up - doesn't take long and isn't that labor intensive.

If you want to speed it up, set the pour pot in cool water to quicken the cool down process.

My way is a lot different than any I've read here. I put the wax into a cookie sheet (jelly roll pan?) and let it sit up. Then I break it into chunks, then use an old hand chopper (the kind you'd use onions with). Gives me anything from medium sized chunks to a texture looking like chopped up nuts.

Alternately, if you have a big chef's knife, pour your wax into a paper cup (the waxed kind. You can get 6 oz into a 9 oz cold cup) then pull it out of the cups, chunk it up with the knife. You slide the edge of the knife down the sloped outside of the cup shape and it gives you slivers. Toward the middle of the cup, you get bigger chunks.

Cool how there are several ways to acheive this. I make a lot of ice cream and muffin candles, so I'm whipping a lot (by hand, with a wire whisk in a stainless bowl) I find that the whipped wax is very easy to make into crumbles - just wait until it's practically hard and crumble up by hand - I make crumbles for 'topping' on my muffins this way and it's easy. However, sounds like you want to sell quantities of the crumbles, so I'd have to go to a mixer for the whipping, my arms wouldn't hold up for that much whipping!