Pie soap and the like?

tlc

I was looking at KrazyKelly's pie soap she made a few days ago and it made me wonder why some of you make them?

Can you sell them or are you making them for the heck of it?

Seems to me like they would be lots of work and you would have to sell quite a lot to make it worth your time and effort.

I see all the effort folks put in to very nice soapies and candles for that matter, that look like food and I don't get it from a business stand point, so enlighten me. :)

I'm not asking b/c I want to make them (I have zero patience for that sort of stuff) but just curious more than anything.

I made it just cause I wanted to try it and liked the way they look. I got 16 slices from my pie and they all weigh over 5oz. so they weigh the same as my bars and could be sold for the same price if I decided to sell them. But it was a mainly "see if I can do it" thing. I do want to try one with some flowers and leaves but that will come later. I can't decided what scent I want to use...LOL!

Also, it was not hard at all. You just make a big mess with the piping bags and all. :)

Kelly

I sold a ton of cupcakes and cake slices during the holidays and for Mardi Gras but mostly the challenge and artistic expression was the motivator. You have to be very focused and have everything planned out before you begin the session and you have to think fast on your feet if something goes wrong but all in all its a lot of fun. Customers just kinda looked at me like, "What do I do with this?" and then it caught on. I present them in white window cupcake boxes and they make great teacher gifts or baby shower or whatever gifts. It is fairly costly to get all the molds and stuff but so much fun. HTH

Steve

I personally don't make them, but only because I don't do craft shows or farmer's markets. For people who do, soap cake is a great conversation starter (ar any type of food looking soap). People stop because they see something that looks like food, then find out it is not food, but they are interested enough to look around, and very often end up buying something.

Otherwise they just hurry past the soap booth (oh, soap again!) and don't even give it a chance.