Eco wicks producing some smoke wisps

I'm using C-3 with no additives and 6% FO in a Madison Jar from Fillmore which has a 3" diameter. Eco 8 wicks perform really well in these with the exception of some occasional smoke wisps. I'm wondering how concerned I should be with this. The flame size is good, I am getting barely any mushrooming, and reaching FMP around the 2nd or 3rd burn, all of which seems great to me. I've also tried an LX 24 which has pretty decent performance, and does NOT produce smoke in this same wax/jar/FO combination, however, it does mushroom a lot.

Maybe I need to reduce the FO load? Would appreciate any feedback about this. Thanks.

Wisps of smoke also mean soot deposits... Try a different wick, especially if this happens with more than one or two FOs. Some FOs are more of a problem than others and you can simply not use the ones which do this; but if it's happening a lot, try a different wick. Your FO amount is well within reason - I wouldn't change that, personally. Try a CDN 14 in that container.

Update: I was doing a test burn of the tumbler with the LX 24 this morning, and after 45 minutes half of the jar was black around the top. I didn't notice smoke wisps from this one like I did with the Eco, but apparently this issue isn't specific to that wick. I've used this FO & wax combo before...why the heck am I getting all this soot all of a sudden?

Wisps of smoke also mean soot deposits...
Stella, what does this mean and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks again.

I was doing a test burn of the tumbler with the LX 24 this morning, and after 45 minutes half of the jar was black around the top

Without a photo and more information, it's really hard to say much... "Black around the top" can mean a lot of things... was it black from the MP all the way to the top? Or was there just some soot around the rim? How far down in the container had the candle burned? You didn't notice any of this sooting before 45 minutes had passed? Was the wick trimmed to 1/4" prior to the test? Is the soot more on one side than the other? Did the flame flicker or dance? How high was the flame? Was the candle burning in a draft from above?

What FO are you using? Are you sure you are using 6%? For example - 1 weighed ounce per pound (16 weighed oz.) of wax is 5.88%... How are you measuring your FO? Is your FO a "normal" FO or is it a concentrated one? How was the HT when all this sooting occurred? How is the appearance of the candle?

"Wisps of smokes also mean soot deposits" is a pretty self-explanatory statement. If you see wisps of smoke, there's a real good chance you'll also see more soot deposits. The wisps are carbon particles...

Update: I was doing a test burn of the tumbler with the LX 24 this morning, and after 45 minutes half of the jar was black around the top. I didn't notice smoke wisps from this one like I did with the Eco, but apparently this issue isn't specific to that wick. I've used this FO & wax combo before...why the heck am I getting all this soot all of a sudden?

Stella, what does this mean and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks again.

Independent of wax, I am finding that the larger type wicks, CD-22, LX-24, and others are more likely to turn into soot producers, double wicking works better for me at 4" diameter containers and above. Not saying that these wick won't work for you, just that you will be spending additional time tweaking them to tame the burn.

larger type wicks, CD-22, LX-24, and others

In a 3" container, one would not be using a CD 22! A CDN or CD 14 should work fine (range from 12 -16 for the sake of argument). I have no idea how large an LX 24 is, 'cause I don't use 'em, but if it is THAT much too large for that size container, that certainly might be an issue. I don't see that sooting is any extra problem with large CDN wicks when used in a wide container... if used in a container that's way small for that particular size of wick, well, SURE - doodoo can and will occur!

In a 3" container, one would not be using a CD 22! A CDN or CD 14 should work fine (range from 12 -16 for the sake of argument). I have no idea how large an LX 24 is, 'cause I don't use 'em, but if it is THAT much too large for that size container, that certainly might be an issue. I don't see that sooting is any extra problem with large CDN wicks when used in a wide container... if used in a container that's way small for that particular size of wick, well, SURE - doodoo can and will occur!

Who said a 3 inch container? I didn't. I just said that in my experience these larger wicks are more prone to throw soot, my solution is to double wicks. Now if we want to discuss container size, I don't need to do this until 4 inches.

Who said a 3 inch container? I didn't. I just said that in my experience these larger wicks are more prone to throw soot, my solution is to double wicks. Now if we want to discuss container size, I don't need to do this until 4 inches.

The candle the OP is discussing is a 3" container candle (Post #1), that, when wicked with an LX24 (Post #5), resulted in sooting of the container to some extent. Before trying the LX 24, she was seeing wisps of smoke with ECO 8. Originally, she thought no smoke was produced using the LX 24, but then on a subsequent burn, noticed the soot.

Doesn't matter what size container you are using - if you use a wick that's too big for it, you can expect soot. I don't think it has to do with just the higher sizes wicks - it's the mismatch of the container size & wick size that causes the conditions where the wick's flame is likely to produce more soot.

Edited by Stella1952

I don't think it has to do with just the higher sizes wicks - it's the mismatch of the container size & wick size that causes the conditions where the wick's flame is likely to produce more soot.

Maybe in your experience but in mine I'd have to disagree, I find the larger wicks more prone to sooting and I stay away from them. Since I am not using C3, I have no idea how they work for you.