Wick Priming: 212 MP Wax?

I've seen a few wicks advertised primed with a 212 Melt Point Wax. Is this generally available. I haven't found any suppliers as of yet.

If not, that the highest MP available for home priming? Does anyone add anything to their high MP wax to raise the MP even higher?

thanks in advance.

Neil

There is a prime by EcoSoya called Eco Wick Wax. It has a MP of 175.

I have mine done at CW and had them use what they call the Super High Melt Point Coating. I believe the MP on that is 212.

CW does require an order of 500 or more for the special orders. I was really pleased when my total came up and found it cost less to have them made in bulk to the specs I needed than it would have buying them by quantities of 100 standard ready made.

ooops....edit. I was typing when you added your post that you were looking for home priming. Possibly you would want to consider Micro wax. We did use it to dip them ourselves for a few months before ordering from CW.

HTH ~ GL

Edited by jeanie353

One of the guys from one of the wick companies told me it helps the wick stand up better in the melt pool (containers).

Yeppers, that is what it does. We went that route when my DIL (the power burner) had a wick tip over inside a 16 oz Keepsake jar and continue to burn while it laid against the glass partially in the MP. I do a torture test with each wax/jar/FO combo before it even goes to testers and didn't create a MP deep enough for it to happen but she managed to do it.

We put everything on hold for making more candles until we got them primed in the HMP wax. Not saying it is the absolute answer and it will never happen again but it hasn't happened since for us. Hopefully, it won't in the future.

This is the same person who brought back jars to be refilled where she was able to burn them way down to nothing left in the bottom of the container except the wick tab that I posted about on another thread where we were discussing wick tabs/safety tabs.

She drives me crazy with her power burning but I do have to say she is proof of how some people simply don't listen to our directions verbally nor do they read the warning labels stuck on the bottom of the jars or instruction sheets I include with each candle.

Yeppers, that is what it does. We went that route when my DIL (the power burner) had a wick tip over inside a 16 oz Keepsake jar and continue to burn while it laid against the glass partially in the MP. I do a torture test with each wax/jar/FO combo before it even goes to testers and didn't create a MP deep enough for it to happen but she managed to do it.

We put everything on hold for making more candles until we got them primed in the HMP wax. Not saying it is the absolute answer and it will never happen again but it hasn't happened since for us. Hopefully, it won't in the future.

This is the same person who brought back jars to be refilled where she was able to burn them way down to nothing left in the bottom of the container except the wick tab that I posted about on another thread where we were discussing wick tabs/safety tabs.

She drives me crazy with her power burning but I do have to say she is proof of how some people simply don't listen to our directions verbally nor do they read the warning labels stuck on the bottom of the jars or instruction sheets I include with each candle.

Peak's primes all their wicks with 212 Melt Point wax, and they use the 6.00 mm high wick assemblies. That's why I've been getting my wicks from them.

212MP is probably a microcrystalline wax. It might help your wick stand up better, but so does the core in paper and cotton and zinc core wicks. I use a micro wax that is pretty close to that temp and what it does for me is it saturates the wick with wax right through the core. If you put your raw spool wick in the presto with that stuff, after a few seconds it foams. This is the air from the core being pushed out from heat expansion and replaced with the wax.

I think this gives me a slightly more consistent burn, though priming with the container wax does as well. I make my candles one at a time so I can let the wick slump into the wax a bit when I pour and then raise it up before the candle cools and center it with a tool. If that's too much effort for those who pour in bulk, then priming with something at or above 195 MP is probably good.

Beware of pre-made wicks that have tabs already on them and are pre-primed. Most of these are not primed to the core. The core is often still dry and full of air. You'll get more flickering from them.

The wicks I prime are not as smooth on the outside as the store bought pre-primed ones and I think that's just because I don't use a priming machine and also because the store bought ones use a machine that often does not saturate the core. If you cut the wick and see unprimed fiber in the middle, then gosh golly gee. Don't pay for that. Cheaper to buy raw and prime and tab yourself. (Assuming you get a good price on bulk tabs.)

Edited by EricofAZ

Peak's primes all their wicks with 212 Melt Point wax, and they use the 6.00 mm high wick assemblies. That's why I've been getting my wicks from them.

I wish they carried cds there :( It would be nice to get all my wicks done this way without having to get them custom made.

Hi Flicker:

I did contact one of the larger companies that prime with 212MP wax and they gave me the names of a couple of the wholesalers. It's good to know that Bitter Creek also sell the 212MP Wax. Do you, or anyone else, know if the 212MP wax is readily available and, if so, where it can be obtained?

Thanks

Neil

HS...I missed this when you posted. Thanks for putting that out there. Very nice to know I can get both features in the assembly without having to order high quantities.

Hi Flicker:

I did contact one of the larger companies that prime with 212MP wax and they gave me the names of a couple of the wholesalers. It's good to know that Bitter Creek also sell the 212MP Wax. Do you, or anyone else, know if the 212MP wax is readily available and, if so, where it can be obtained?

Thanks

Neil

Bitter Creek buys their wicks. We do not prime, cut and tab them in house. So the answer is we don't sell the 212* mp wax. The highest we sell is the IGI 1260 which is a 160. I am pretty sure that like any other wax, the smallest qty it could be purchased in is a min of a pallet. Sadly we wouldn't have enough demand to buy and re-sell it. I have never seen anything higher than 160-+ a few. Sorry.

Does bcn prime all of their wicks with 212*mp paraffin? I use zincs and paper as well. TIA

Hey Glowworm!

All the wicks except the Eco are primed in a 212 with the possible exception of the hemp which I would have to check on. Not sure if those are. But the Zinc, Paper, CD, HTP, LX, RRD, Perfoma all for sure are primed in a 212* at Bitter Creek. :) Maybe I should add that specific info on the website.

Hey Glowworm!

All the wicks except the Eco are primed in a 212 with the possible exception of the hemp which I would have to check on. Not sure if those are. But the Zinc, Paper, CD, HTP, LX, RRD, Perfoma all for sure are primed in a 212* at Bitter Creek. :) Maybe I should add that specific info on the website.

The Eco series btw are primed in NGI (EcoSoya) Wick Wax.

Hey Glowworm!

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Its something that is definitely a selling point (at least to me) when trying to do one stop shopping. :)