Warming Tray or Hot Plate

My wife is kicking me out of the kitchen and I need to make a candle area. I’m currently using a presto to melt my wax and a pour pot to mix in.

I’m wondering - should I get a warming tray or a double burner hot plate?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated from those that use either. Is one brand or type better than another?

Hi Paul

I am no pro that has learned all the tricks and shortcuts but I use a pancake griddle

It keeps my pour pot warm and my jars while my wax is melting in my presto and I set my FO in my glass measuring cup on it to take the chill out.

I have a double burner also but never use it- for me the griddle has more room and better temp control- but I also don't make huge batches at a time - and I am to scatter brained to try and do 2 different batches at the same time! LOL

I use a toasted oven to heat my jars and a double hot plate I got at Wal-Mart for $30.00 dollars. I can keep two pour pots loaded and monitor temp with a wire probe. The plates are covered with a hard plastic and not an open hot plate eye. Hth

Steve

Hi Paul

I am no pro that has learned all the tricks and shortcuts but I use a pancake griddle

It keeps my pour pot warm and my jars while my wax is melting in my presto and I set my FO in my glass measuring cup on it to take the chill out.

I have a double burner also but never use it- for me the griddle has more room and better temp control- but I also don't make huge batches at a time - and I am to scatter brained to try and do 2 different batches at the same time! LOL

That is funny that you use a pancake griddle. Just this morning I was making french toast on mine and was wondering if I could use it for that very same thing :) have you ever had a glass break from being set directly on the heat source?

I have melted wax going in the Presto pot, into pour pot, use electric burner (hot plate) to push the temp to 185, then add FO. I like the second step of using the hot plate because it seems like there is always too much going on to safely monitor my presto, so that wax stays at about 165-170. Have fun!!

I have all kinds of repurposed kitchenware I use in my candle room. I have a round electric skillet for keeping pour pots warm, warming small amounts of wax in votive molds, and for prewarming FOs in 1-2" of water (not direct heat!); I have a very old warming tray that I use to warm containers (thin towel under, thicker towel over); I have 3 Prestos; a heat gun; an electric griddle I use for finishing pillar & votive bottoms. Omaha steak styrofoam coolers come in handy for cooling palm wax pillars in cold weather. Some plastic buckets (OxyClean) with sand in them for making tilties; cookie racks and a couple of old oven & refrigerator racks for cooling containers...

On my want list:

a big electric roaster for various purposes, including warming containers.

a microtorch for spot touchups

a microwave so I will leave the one in my kitchen alone

a restaurant-style heat lamp

I don't have a need for a hot plate 'cause I don't heat wax on direct heat. HTH & have fun getting thrown out of the kitchen!!:yay:

That is funny that you use a pancake griddle. Just this morning I was making french toast on mine and was wondering if I could use it for that very same thing :) have you ever had a glass break from being set directly on the heat source?

Hi glow worm

No I have never had anything break or get to hot to not be able to touch comfortably- I keep it on the lowest temp and my FO is set inside a metal measuring cup

Never thought about using it for finishing off votive bottoms per Stella- that's a handy idea!

Edited by moonshine

I use a double burner hot plate for melting my wax for repours (I place my pour pot into a pan of hot water to heat). I also have a griddle.... it is an excellent jar warmer , I put down thick alum foil to cover the whole griddle surface, then place paper towels down on top of that (I never leave unattended because of this) and then place jars on upside down , and then totally cover the jars w/long sheets of aluminum foil to keep them warm. I set the temp at 125 for warming my jars. I also warm my votive cups on it. You can level pillars on it. You can also place your wax utensils, pots, etc on it to melt the wax off of them. Just lots of great ways to use them!