Wick Starting Point for 12oz Status (Metro) Jars using IGI 4360 Wax

Hi:

I wicked this jar wick using plain IGI 4630 Wax with Paper Core, Zinc and CD's. The Paper and zinc mushroomed badly. I looked at the recommendations from one wick supplier and they suggested CD-12 to CD-18 wicks for 3" diameter containers. Cut to 1/4", these wicks smoked like crazy (set off the smoke alarm). I trimmed the CD-12 and CD-14 to 1/8" and they are burning better. But since most warning labels suggest 1/4", I would prefer to stick with that length.

I upped my wick inventory and ordered the follow samples: LX, RRD (Wedo), HTP, Premier 700 Series and ECO's.

I'm looking for a good starting point for IGI 4630 was with the 12oz Status (Metro) Jar both without additives (plain 4630 wax) and with additives (color, UV, fragrance).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give?

Neil

I am still working on my 3" Libbey Status jars with 4630 but I am using CD-12 or CD-14. LX wicks seems to work well for 3" diameter and larger containers, so try a LX-20. That said while I love 4630 for it's throw and for the range of FOs that work in it, it does smoke and throw soot when the flame gets too larges. A slight draft send plumes of black smoke. Keeping wicks trimmed helps but who needs the extra work. In order to tame the flame I am adding soy wax (464 for now and may try 415 later) at 20% to 25%. Some add more. The burn is better controlled and there is only a small hit on HT if that particular FO does not work well in soy. If you try the parasoy route, stick with the same wicks and adjust from there.

Pam:

Thanks for the feedback. A wick vendor also suggested the ECO wick too so hearing that you are using them too is encouraging. Any problems with smoking during the burn? My ECO delivery is scheduled for Thursday so I'll pour some containers that evening so I can start testing over the weekend.

I'll let you know how I do.

Neil

I am still working on my 3" Libbey Status jars with 4630 but I am using CD-12 or CD-14. LX wicks seems to work well for 3" diameter and larger containers, so try a LX-20. That said while I love 4630 for it's throw and for the range of FOs that work in it, it does smoke and throw soot when the flame gets too larges. A slight draft send plumes of black smoke. Keeping wicks trimmed helps but who needs the extra work. In order to tame the flame I am adding soy wax (464 for now and may try 415 later) at 20% to 25%. Some add more. The burn is better controlled and there is only a small hit on HT if that particular FO does not work well in soy. If you try the parasoy route, stick with the same wicks and adjust from there.

I was hoping to work with the unadulterated 4630 but I may go ahead and order a case of the 464 since I just received 4 cases of the 4630. How did adding the 464 affect your colors?