Well this didn't turn out as planned...Can I rebatch this??

coffeebean

I made this soap yesterday & when I went to cut it, it just crumbled. Its real dry & crumbly. I was wondering if you think I could rebatch this in the crock pot or should I just throw this along with the recipe away?The recipe I followed was...

14.4oz coconut oil

14.4oz olive oil

9.60oz palm

9.60oz shea

6.77oz lye

15.8oz water

post-9418-13945849446_thumb.jpg

post-9418-139458494464_thumb.jpg

No don't throw either away! If you can tonight or tomorrow, add it to a stainless steel pot yep right on the stove, add some distilled water enough to coat it. melt it on low heat. when it turns to creamy oatmeal, mold it. about 15 ish minutes based your heat. stir it constantly so it doesn't burn on the bottom. do it asap, because after a couple days you can't do this method.

I don't think it was a water issue, but I would have used 18 oz. Try breaking down your coconut and shea, still use them, but add another oil in their discount, like sunflower. If I can find a link for you about percentages of oils to use for balance I will! So sorry, I just hate it when we work so hard, to get a huge bummer :(

Edited by powderblueboutique

I ran it through SoapCalc and your water could have been higher... I wonder if the soap overheated. The numbers indicate it would be a pretty hard soap...

Definitely rebatch. You can make some color contrast with TD & black so it won't look like mud. You had some nice swirlies going on there... I rebatched something similar last year and I liked the way it came out more than the original. I used my crock pot on high.

Good luck and please let us know how it comes out.

Edited by Stella1952

I put it in the crock pot yesterday & it just kept getting dryer & dryer, almost like a pie crust before you add your water. It was super crumbly, so I added olive oil & distilled water until it looked more like mashed potatoes. I am going to try cutting it today & hope it doesn't crumble. All I was after was trying to make a soap that is very moisturizing for my dry skin. I read so many articles saying to add shea so I tried it.

Actually the guy on here chuck_55530 got me hooked. I bought a pound of fo from him & he send a bar of soap with my oil, which was so nice. Both my husband & I loved the soap so I started doing my research. Thanks Chuck!!

I see you already tried to save it and you may have. Another option you would have would be to shred it and add it to an high Olive batch. That way you wouldn't lose the coloring and it would be more moisturizing. If it hasn't turned out after the rebatch, shred it first. Add no color to the new batch. Add 1/2 the amt of FO. You can add up to 1/2 the amount of shreds as the base recipe you are using. So if you are making a fresh 2lb batch, you can add up to 1lb of shreds to it.

HTH

I guess I saved it because it came out okay other than the color & the smell isn't so great. When I sliced it, it didn't crumble. I'm reading if I add some oils at trace (vitamin e & cocoa butter) I will end up with a higher moisturizing soap like I'm looking for. One things for sure my friends & family are getting to try a lot of different soaps :-D