Milk Bath - does powdered milk expire?

Judy, USMC

I was thinking of playing with powdered milk for a milk bath. The sell buy date is April 2012 ... I feel comfortable making a small batch for myself. If it meets my expectation would you use the rest of the box to make some for friends. Or should I buy new and put the expiration date as a "Use by" date.

Additionally, I got some bath tea bags in a swap about 3 years ago. All the label says is Milk Powder. It smells a little off and I'm going to trash it. But that led me to wondering; does powdered Buttermilk (or any other powdered milk) have a particular odor?

Thanks

I've found expired powdered milk in my cabinets, and it had a funky smell. Looked a little too yeller, too. I'd use what you have for yourself or for someone who wants some to use now, but otherwise toss it. Not worth messing with.

We did milk baths once upon a time -- not only do you have to worry about the powder expiring, I actually found that some scents seemed to react to the powder and smelled way worse than rotten!! I will never forget how bad Lemon Sugar and Lilac smelled in the milk bath (shuddering at the memory I wish I could forget)

I put "discard if not used by" dates on all my products with milk in them - if it's no saponified, including the milk powders. I have found over the years that "used by and expired" mean little to my customers - so I just come right out and tell them to "throw it away". LOL Subtle right:-)