What is your testing process

I am testing as follows:

3" container 464 wax

Steps:

1.) 3 hour test burn, extinguish

2.) 3 hour test burn, extinguish

3.) 4-8 hour torture test burn, extinguish

4.) various burn sequences (1/2 hour, hour, 4 hour, etc) until candle is done.

Does this seem logical/appropriate? What is your process?

Is this all on the same candle?

What is a torture test?

A torture test is what we do to mimic what so many customers do when they burn the candles. Basically, light it and let it burn for hours and hours. We are looking for any fire hazards the candle may have that didn't show up in the 1" per hour rule testing so we can correct them before they reach the consumer. Also making sure our containers are able to stand up to the heat of a major melt pool our power burning customers create.

This gets into the manufacturing process as well as the purpose of the test...

If I am testing a new container, wax or wick, after I have established which wick I want to use (method below), I conduct a powerburn test - light & burn from start to finish with no wick trimming, etc. If the candle performs well, it's a keeper. If the container becomes too hot or the wick soots excessively (I expect a minor amount of sooting during a powerburn), I go back a step and adjust the wick size or wick type. Once a candle system (ie. 8 oz. wide mouth soy candles - same ingredients and amounts and wicks each time) has passed the powerburn test, I usually do not do another one for that candle system.

When I test new ingredients (ie. resupplies of wax, FO, wicks, etc.), I set the test up with other known components and run a quick test (usually only 1 or two sessions) and compare the results with previous data for that particular component. I generally use a 4 oz. jelly jar for this type of test. If something is wonky, I know better than to push forward before testing more thoroughly to see if I have a bad batch of wax, wicks, FO, etc.

For general testing, I use a system of index cards which I preprint with a form to fill out so I won't forget to record the data I need. I have two main cards I use: one is the Batch card and the other is the Burn Test card. The Batch card records every component of the candles poured from that batch of wax: the glassware, date purchased, source, lot number if available; the wick type, source, date purchased; the FOs used, amounts, sources, dates of purchase; the wax used, date of purchase, source, lot number; and the same for any other ingredients, dye used, etc. I record the date, ambient temperature, humidity, time, temperatures to which the wax is heated, held, FO added, pour temp, etc. I assign a unique Batch number to each batch of wax I make. This number goes on the candle label.

After the candles are poured and cured for a week, I select one and start a Burn Test card which contains the following information: batch number, date, container, wax used, wick type/size, FO & amount used, ambient air temp, humidity, start time, stop time, net weight, RoC, wick height, HT, burn notes. It takes more than one card because of the number of burn sessions (staple together at the end before filing). I set a timer so I do not forget to extinguish the candles on time. The more methodical I am when testing, the more accurate my data will be and the easier it is to isolate any problem with my candle system. The test goes like this:

• Record batch number, FO & amount, wick type/size on each card (not necessary for each burn session)

• Record test date and ambient temp & humidity.

• Weigh the candle; record net weight (record RoC if this is a repeat test session)

• Trim the wick to 1/4"

• Record start time. Set the timer. Light the candle & burn for 1 hour per inch of inside candle diameter.

• Record flame height at 1 hour into the test.

• Evaluate & record HT near the end of the burn session

• Record stop time. Extinguish by dipping the wick back into the melt pool and straighten.

• Record all observations during the burn (wick sputtering, dancing, popping, mushroom, uneven flame height, etc.) in notes

• Allow the candle to COMPLETELY cool before relighting (several hours or overnight)

Repeat steps above until the candle self-extinguishes at the bottom of the container.

I test each fragrance and each different container from each batch as above. If I pour only one type of container and FO from a batch, I test one candle. If I pour 3 styles of containers and 4 FOs, a tester from each container and FO is tested. I prefer ganging my work so that I can reduce the amount of testing needed; ie. make only one style of container from a batch or only 1 style and FO from each batch. Of course, if a candle flunks a test, that particular FO or container goes back to the drawing board for more testing or goes onto the reject shelf.

HTH :smiley2:

Edited by Stella1952