Is there a place to send oils for testing?

Dana

Ok, so I went to the drug store and bought the mineral oil....the laxative type, thinking it MUST be food grade if you are suppossed to digest this stuff....then I read on AH/RE site that it can't be the laxative type mineral oil to test for polarity. It seemed to mix well but could I see fine lines? I can't trust my judgement. So, since I have TONS of fo's and one in particular I want to use is there a place to send fo's for FP and Polarity? I want to know for sure if my oil is gel safe!

I used to buy the mineral oil from BCN for testing polarity. Checking their site on this they say not to use baby oil but don't specify if their mineral oil is food grade. They say they use Penreco mineral oil for their testing. They say food grade is fine. AH/RE says food grade is fine but not to use the heavy laxative type. It is confusing info since what we consider to be food grade seems to be the thick/heavy laxative stuff.

Here is a link where they talk about testing polarity:

http://www.gelcandlemaking.com/section4.html

HTH

Edited by jeanie353

The problem with sending it off ( I do not know of a place that does it) is you can not be sure. You are even suppose to test FO that suppliers say are non polar. I have run in to FO that where suppose to be non polar and found that they were not what was claimed. It may not be the supplier fault totally as each new batch of fragrance could have slight changes that the manufacture did not tell the suppliers about.

You need to even test each FO each time you order more even if that FO was tested good but a new batch came up polar.

You can get Food grade Mineral oil at Home depot I think at Lowes too you will find it in the paint section.

Actually it does. What it is used for is to season cutting board and other wood cooking utensils. My DH stoled all mine a while back when he was turning wood bowls.

That is interesting. Thank you. I will stop by a Lowes on Friday and pick some up!