Piller Molds

I would like to explore piller candles and I have a question concerning molds. I am looking at Peak and they offer two types of molds. One is metal and has a base. The other type is a seamless aluminum mold. Is one of these molds better than the other? I would think the seamless molds would produce a smoother candle. I'll probably do round pillers at first as I think they might be easier to release.

Cheers,

Rich

I like the seamless molds with the concave top, since the bottom of the mold is the top of the candle it comes out nice 99% of the time and the concave dip makes a nice well for capturing the melt pool. While you can use wick the mold before pouring, I like using a wick pin which I got from here. I get less void or air spaces using it. I will also recommend IGI 4525 wax.

rjdaines - if you're using the 'bottom' as the top... how are you using a wick pin. I'm ill today, so it's probably in front of my face.. but I don't get it. I use the seamless with the concave too - but I wick mine rather than use a wick pin - asking because if there's an easier way it's not too late to teach this old dog new tricks. :yes:

I prefer seamless molds because they ARE seamless - no seam line to clean up. The thicker aluminum molds release the heat more slowly than thinner tin molds. I use wick pins in both. If there is no hole, I can still use a wick pin by placing it on the bottom of the mold and securing it with wick putty. When using wick pins from the outside, mold putty seals the hole through which the wick pin passes. Wick pins are very handy! HTH

Either mold is great. You get shapes with the tins, which really are better off cooled in a water bath. The tin gets hot (you've been warned). The shapes available though can't be matched with the seamless aluminum. I prefer the aluminum because what I do to the candles I make doesn't muck up the inside of the mold and render it useless like it would with a tin mold if I were not ultra careful.

The tins also need a mold release where the aluminum ones don't (or at least they haven't for me.)

Get both and play with them. The shapes of the tins are really fun. The seams are not that difficult to trim, especially if you got the ones where the line isn't that noticeable.

rjdaines - if you're using the 'bottom' as the top... how are you using a wick pin. I'm ill today, so it's probably in front of my face.. but I don't get it. I use the seamless with the concave too - but I wick mine rather than use a wick pin - asking because if there's an easier way it's not too late to teach this old dog new tricks. :yes:

Look at the website that I posted above, it shows the set up.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I know what everyone is saying about using the pin but I have a feeling I'll have to figure it out once I have everything in hand.

LOLOL I totally resembled that remark! I remember holding the wick pin in one hand and the mold in the other and having many WTF moments... Holler if you get stuck!

Oh - if your mold has a hole and you choose to use the wick pin on the inside and not on the outside (where the pin threads through the hole), a dab of mold putty and a crisscross of the shiny metal ducting tape (NOT duct tape - the real metal, shiny stuff) will seal the hold quite nicely.

Oh - if your mold has a hole and you choose to use the wick pin on the inside and not on the outside (where the pin threads through the hole), a dab of mold putty and a crisscross of the shiny metal ducting tape (NOT duct tape - the real metal, shiny stuff) will seal the hold quite nicely.

If the wick pin is placed inside the mold will the wax get under it? I would think that would cause excess wax on the top of the candle.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

I use the aluminum pillar molds and I use the wick centering equipment. I do not know the proper name for them. I have never used a wick pen. I do use the mold putty. I have got wax all over the kitchen be for so a word of advice. Keep an eye on the mold full of wax while it cools. LOL I am serious. P.S I personally use Pam instead of mold release it works for me. But I only use one squirt.

Edited by TammyGCC