question

How big is the palm pillar. I tried #3 it tunneled and drownd and #6 ate the entire candle. Nice glow but bou does it look ugly.

For a feathered unscented 3" pillar what do you suggest and how did you come to this con clusion? Also is the shell left behind large?

I having access to material would help. But we have no candle stores here in Michigan.

Edited by Gbhunter

How big is the palm pillar. I tried #3 it tunneled and drownd and #6 ate the entire candle. Nice glow but bou does it look ugly.

For a feathered unscented 3" pillar what do you suggest and how did you come to this con clusion? Also is the shell left behind large?

I having access to material would help. But we have no candle stores here in Michigan.

Are you anywhere near here: http://www.greatcandle.com/Store%20Hours.htm

I normally make the 3x4 palm pillars with the 1/0 square. At first I thought it was going to leave to thick of a shell as it normally burns half way down leaving a 1/2 shell but by the last 1/3 it starts to thin and by the end the shell burns almost all the way down and what's left is paper thin. No blowouts, just a beautiful burn with almost every fo I have tried.

Have you tried a 1/0 yet? If you do, try to burn it to the end before coming to any conclusions, I think you might be surprised :).

Since square braids seems to fail in one way or another what are they good for?

Just for beeswax, even there it smokes.

I've always used square braid in all my beeswax candles and never have them smoke! You must be using the wrong size or wick needs trimming, but dunno your application or wax.

I far prefer wick assemblies but if I can't use one in a particular application, there ARE other choices which work nearly as well. It pays to have a big trickbag so that if one thing isn't appropriate, you have more choices. Time vs. money is a consideration. Working with spooled wicking is more time consuming for me, so I only use it when I am casting two-part molded candles. Those are more of a PITA to wick because one can't use a wick pin in those easily, (although it CAN be done... with a lot of patience and cajun engineering) Tying up wicking and taping it down is very tedious and time-consuming for me. I can wick a dozen containers with wick assemblies faster than I can wick one 2 part mold. Thank goodness I don't make many of those!! :-)