enjoyed the craft show today

mzphee

I attended the "Be my Valentine" air and craft show today in Bloomington,Il. I wanted to attend to see all the different handmade items and also see how other crafters set up..ok ok and to see how there products look. I was very surprised there was about 30-45 vendors, the flow was steady. there was 1 booth selling candles only and the looked good I purchased one 10oz square mason " fresh cut grass", 1 booth with soap,melts, and warmers..now this booth presentation was not good her melts were discolored and looked kind of old. she also had tarts packaged in plastic ziplock bags which smeared her melts. not really impressed, and the last booth had soap only again presentation was not good at all. I did purchase some soap she stated it was handmade and that she used fresh goat milk which she milked everyday..lol..over all I enjoyed myself...Its so amazing how creative people are..I CANT WAIT TO DO MY FIRST SHOW..I FEEL LIKE I WOULD HAVE HAD A CHANCE TODAY...LOL IM WAITING PATIENTLY:smiley2:

I don't color my melts, and to keep down on the " they look old" thing for me, I put a small sign in a pretty frame that sits by them, that states that there are no added dyes and any discoloration is from the FO . I noticed a lot more people looking, and buying, when that sign was there as opposed to when it wasn't.

mzphee - Isn't there some sort of craft show that's like miles and miles long down by Peoria? My fiance's mom was telling me I should set up in it. I wish I could remember what it's called but for the life of me I can't! I think it goes like through Galesburg maybe through peoria too? He's still snoozing away so I'll ask him about it when he gets up.

A lot of times it is NOT hard to blow the competition out of the water! Create a wonderful product - meaning buy only the best jars, wax, scent - do your homework, research and test to create the best product, compliment w/ kick butt packaging, keep your product fresh and always changing to keep your customers engaged and always wanting YOUR product. :) Good luck on when you do decide to do a show!! :)

Yeah, from what my fiance's mom told me there's lots of crafters out there too. She bought a bunch of candles from a lady a few years ago. This one goes from Galesburg to Aurora in June. That's like a 100 mile drive.

mzphee - the one I was thinking of he told me is called scenic drive. I tried looking it up but didn't find much except for the actual booths in Knox County. But he said it's like a tour through alot of small towns. And people have tables and booths set up just on the sides of the roads.

• 7 months later...
Yeah, from what my fiance's mom told me there's lots of crafters out there too. She bought a bunch of candles from a lady a few years ago. This one goes from Galesburg to Aurora in June. That's like a 100 mile drive.

mzphee - the one I was thinking of he told me is called scenic drive. I tried looking it up but didn't find much except for the actual booths in Knox County. But he said it's like a tour through alot of small towns. And people have tables and booths set up just on the sides of the roads.

wow this post is 7months old but guess what? Its called Spoon River Scenic Drive, its Oct6-7 and 13-14 it goes through fulton county and the price varies from $80 for 2weekends to $280...I just got my call this evening regarding a space available, Im still deciding wether to do it or not..the hard part is picking a spot were there is high traffic Im going toward Farmington,IL if I do decide to do this.....i had to search and find this thread..lol