Got a question for those talented ones who quilt

RWV

I have been saving my son's t-shirts because eventually I want to have a quilt made for him. I have 2 questions--how many t-shirts do I need to save for a full-size quilt and is it a big deal if they are different sizes?

He LOVES anything Star Wars so I've saved all of those but the size of the t-shirts range anywhere from 5 to 10/12 and I'm still saving them. I've also got a few other graphic tees he loves (Phineas and Ferb, Mickey Mouse from our trip to Disneyworld, etc.)

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Hi. Our sewing group just made our pastor and his wife a t-shirt throw from their deceased son's shirts. We found a quilt pattern of different sized blocks all working together being put together with sashing. We used fusible interfacing, cut the different sized squares of intersting pictures, logos, labels etc. And then we just sewed them together with a plain color for sashing and binding. We didn't use the whole shirt. It turned out really nice and seems to have brought them comfort. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with multiple squares and make a bed sized one for your son. My granddaughter wants a jean quilt when she leaves for college. Thank goodness she is only a sophmore and I'm collecting jeans now! Good luck. It will turn out awesome. Beth

It depends on how big the t-shirts are and what kind of a pattern you want to do. I would save quite a few and then cut them to the shape you desire and then play with the shapes until you find a pattern you like. That sounds like a wonderful project.

I am fairly new at quilting but am a member of a quilting board. Posters there have done this. I'm assuming that you will be making blocks and then putting some kind of borders around them. I'm also new at doing appliques on quilts. Not sure if you cut out a picture if it woud be possible to attach to the block with fusible and then do applique stitching around the picture...like if it's Mickey Mouse or whatever. You would probably need a stabilizer since the T-shirt fabric could stretch when you are sewing around the edges. Sounds like a great idea though. I'm sure you will come up with something. Good luck with it!

Hi. Our sewing group just made our pastor and his wife a t-shirt throw from their deceased son's shirts. We found a quilt pattern of different sized blocks all working together being put together with sashing. We used fusible interfacing, cut the different sized squares of intersting pictures, logos, labels etc. And then we just sewed them together with a plain color for sashing and binding. We didn't use the whole shirt. It turned out really nice and seems to have brought them comfort. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with multiple squares and make a bed sized one for your son. My granddaughter wants a jean quilt when she leaves for college. Thank goodness she is only a sophmore and I'm collecting jeans now! Good luck. It will turn out awesome. Beth

Beth,

My mom made 2 jean quilts for twin size beds for my brothers when they were younger. She backed them with red bandana material. My brothers still have them today and their kids use them. I'm sure your granddaughter's will be perfect and she'll LOVE it because it was made by grandma!