mold size help

mbaldwin

I am making my own wooden log molds, and I am trying to figure how big to make it.

I have seen the formula for height times width times depth times .40 for the amount of soap the mold can hold. I am looking for a little clarification though.

I have enough wood to make 4 molds that are 12.5 x 3.5 x 2.75 for interior dimensions. With the formula this would be 48.125 oz. Now is this 48.125 the weight of just the oils, or is this the total weight of the mixture, including oils, water, lye, etc.?

I was going to make my first soap with 1000 grams (35.27 oz.) of oils, but when you add the water and lye you get about 1515 grams (53.44 oz.)total.

Any clarification would be nice.

Thanks,

Michael

Okay, thanks.

looks like a mold 10 inches long would work for 1000 gram batches of oils, which is a little over 35 oz. that should get me 10 bars that are 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.

I will get started on the molds tonight. I was hoping to have my first batch of soap done by now. I can't wait to get the first one out of the way.

Thanks,

Michael