Have a question about business name and domain name?

mindy5140

Ok, I'm a bit confused but anyways, I came up with a really neat/funny name for my candle business, I'm going to register it and all but when I looked it up on the internet to see if any sites had it, there was one, but her candle business was another name. She is a .com, but its available with .net but don't you think that would be confusing, since people are so used to entering .com that they would probably order off of her instead of me?

I don't know why I'm fussing about this right now because I'm no where near selling my candles yet, but I think the next holiday season I will be.

The first of the year I'm going to register a fictious name and all that fun stuff, but has that happened to anybody else, you pick out a name, look it up on the internet and see that name on the search engine, but the candle business is another name.

So what do you do? Take that name and put .net after it, or choose a different name for the search engine, domain or whatever its called.

Mindy :confused:

I'd try to make my name as different as possible from anyone else's. Try to get the first word different from anyone else's, at least. People will get the first word or first few letters right, when typing them in, they tend to get sloppy after that.

If your name was something close to the name of a farm equipment dealer, it wouldn't be a big issue... but another chandler...

Someone types in .com, instead of .net; they buy from them, thinking they're buying from you... you've done the advertising, they got the sale... and if thier stuff is sub-standard, you get the bad reputation.

hardly anybody even knows .net or .biz, they type in .com

I would find a name that I could use in .com and buy it now, they are pretty cheap and it may be gone when you are ready. I go through godaddy. i don't collect them like some people, but I do buy ones I think I might use someday. they are only a few bucks a year and it is sure worth it whne you are ready. Plus maybe you won't need it and somebody will pay you for it.

I would use .com only though.

I use a .net for my personal site because a squatter has been sitting on the .com for the last 5 years. Bastards. Anyway, a .net for a personal site isn't that big of a deal to me, but for my future business, I went ahead and registered the .com and any variations of the name I could think of as well. GoDaddy.com is cheap, they are like $7.99. I won't be selling for a little while but at least that's one thing out of the way I don't have to worry about at crunch time later.

I use a .net for my personal site because a squatter has been sitting on the .com for the last 5 years. Bastards.

hah!

(oh, apparently my message is too short to be printed here - it has to be ten characters long .. hahahahaha anyone?!) ;)