OMG!!! I am soooo frustraded!

:mad: I have been making candles for a while now and I have been playing with my the percentages in my wax...60% GW464/40% J223 in a 3" container HTP 93 wick...no hot throw:angry2: So I swich to 65% j 223 and 35 % GW464...I have wicked that candle with a HTP 104, CD 12,14,16,18 NOW a CD 22 and I can't even get a full melt pool after two hour!!! Do these two waxes just not play well together or what?

I normally get a full melt poor at about two hours...You think I am still wicking to high? It is a 3" jar...do you usually wait a full three hours? It only melts down about 1/2 or so at 4 hours...and is that a zinc wick you are suggesting? I can't use zinc wicks...my customers would wig out!

I normally get a full melt poor at about two hours...You think I am still wicking to high? It is a 3" jar...do you usually wait a full three hours? It only melts down about 1/2 or so at 4 hours...and is that a zinc wick you are suggesting? I can't use zinc wicks...my customers would wig out!

Why would your customers wig out? I use a para/soy mix with 464 also and I very rarely get a full melt pool on the first burn, it will usually kick in on the 2nd burn. I would actually be a little concerned if a 3" container was getting a full melt pool at 2 hours. Remember that it will be twice as hot at the second half of the burn and it should clear any hang up you might have. I would think that a CD 12 should be fine for that 65/35 ratio.:confused:

Actually a CD 12 is what I normally use ...and I haven't had any complaints with the candle burning too quickly so I am assuming that a full melt pool in two hours is ok. I will burn it for longer this time and see what I come up with. Thanks!!

Ok so I have burned them for the last 4 hours and there is a tunnel in both CD 16 and HTP 104! I can't imagine the size that it would take to get a full melt pool and I can't figure it out! Maybe I'll have to drop down to two wicks??? But in a 3" canlde jar?!?!?!

Ok so I have burned them for the last 4 hours and there is a tunnel in both CD 16 and HTP 104! I can't imagine the size that it would take to get a full melt pool and I can't figure it out! Maybe I'll have to drop down to two wicks??? But in a 3" canlde jar?!?!?!

I am wicking 3" Status jars with a CD-12 with 4630, 464, or a blend of each and don't see this problem. I do with a 4" but not 3", so far double wicking hasn't helped either.

They just want a cotton wick. I get asked all the time if I use zinc and when they hear me say no, they say GOOD! I put my candles in a massage and fitness place and the owner is extremely against zinc wicks.

Have you asked why they're against zinc?

Can you post some pictures?

post-12088-139458491584_thumb.jpg

okay, the first picture is with a CD 16 and the second one is with a HTP 104. Both have burned a total of 6 hours and it is just wax and wick...not color or FO.

I poured at 145 to 150 but I think that has more to do with the finished look and acutual scent thow...I don't think it makes a difference wehn just test burnig...

post-12088-139458491591_thumb.jpg

Edited by kcdelong

Have you asked why they're against zinc?

Beth, my main customer has a hang up with what he thinks the zinc wicks put out while they are burning and he pushes pure soy...so if he has told his customer zinc is harmful then they are going to believe him

Beth, my main customer has a hang up with what he thinks the zinc wicks put out while they are burning and he pushes pure soy...so if he has told his customer zinc is harmful then they are going to believe him

He is probably confusing them with 'lead' wicks.

I'll do that but I couldn't sell those to customers...I want it to be good and not have to explain my candles when they go out the door...you know what I mean. I just want to get a good, long burning, kick butt hot and cold throw CORRECTLY WICKED just like we all do!

It is common for soy not to get a full melt pool until the second or third burn. Keep burning the candle in 3 hour increments. It will get hotter at the bottom so you can't reach full melt pool too quickly or your jar will get too hot. I don't think your candles look that underwicked for two 3 hour burns, if that is what you did. I would finish them off and then try one wick higher on each and see how that goes.

I wish I was better with soy. I just suck at making a pretty candle when it comes to 100% soy. I have never heard that soy doesn't have a full melt pool on the first burn. I just watched a video the other day that showed a full melt pool using 100 % soy...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23296[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23295[/ATTACH]

okay, the first picture is with a CD 16 and the second one is with a HTP 104. Both have burned a total of 6 hours and it is just wax and wick...not color or FO.

I poured at 145 to 150 but I think that has more to do with the finished look and acutual scent thow...I don't think it makes a difference wehn just test burnig...

I don't think they look too bad either. You may want to consider twisting the CD before securing it to the wick holder. It helps keep the MP centered a little better. If you burn in 1" per hour increments by the 2nd or 3rd (3rd preferably) burn is when you would like your MP to be full. Anything earlier is apt to make the candle burn too hot when it gets down to the 2nd half of the jar leading to high flames, too hot jar, too deep MP, shrooms, etc.

I agree with Deb426 to finish these off (or melt them back to a level surface first) and if they do tunnel by burning 3 hours at a time, then try 1 size larger wick.

GL

post-12088-139458491595_thumb.jpg

Okay, The first one is the CD 22 (last night I was calling it the HTP 104) but It is a CD 22 and it finally got almost a clean burn maybe an 1/16 inch left on side but you guys were right...it started flickering and an a vey small mushroom started to form. The other one is the CD 16 and I think I just go the wick off center a bit so I am going to try that one again.

post-12088-139458491599_thumb.jpg

I don't think they look too bad either. You may want to consider twisting the CD before securing it to the wick holder. It helps keep the MP centered a little better. If you burn in 1" per hour increments by the 2nd or 3rd (3rd preferably) burn is when you would like your MP to be full. Anything earlier is apt to make the candle burn too hot when it gets down to the 2nd half of the jar leading to high flames, too hot jar, too deep MP, shrooms, etc.

I agree with Deb426 to finish these off (or melt them back to a level surface first) and if they do tunnel by burning 3 hours at a time, then try 1 size larger wick.

GL

I think you are right about the wick getting off centered. What do you mean by twist.... as to grab and turn clockwise?

I think you are right about the wick getting off centered. What do you mean by twist.... as to grab and turn clockwise?

Sorry...I didn't see your post until now. When you are securing your wick to the wick bar or whatever you use to hold it in place while the candle cools, twist the wick a few times clockwise. When the candle burns, the wick will slowly turn creating a more central MP.