Lx wicks for container

Hiya,

Paraffin container blend , fragrance oil at 10% but perhaps I should only do 8%? Do lx wicks even work for containers? Someone told me I should only use a cored wick in a container? X

Not exactly sure which paraffin you use, but paraffin and parasoy (6006) is all I use and you can definately use LX wicks in containers (who said you shouldn't?). 10% FO sounds excessive to me. Using a scale, weigh 1 oz. of FO and add it to one pound of paraffin wax around 185 degrees and stir well. With some waxes, it's better if you preheat the glass container (better adhesion); I must preheat with the 4786 and the CBL.

LX wicks maintain a slight curve when they burn. If you're using a paraffin wax comparable to the 4630, you could start with an LX 16 or LX 18. May I suggest you try the LX series (or any other wick for that matter) with the wax you use; don't add any fragrance, just wick and wax, and see how it burns. Then add your "variable" - the FO at 1 oz pp - and begin the headaches...... ooops, I mean begin the testing, lol Wait at least 24 hours before testing. If you can wait longer, like 2 or 3 days, that's even better.

I often use LX wicks with my IGI 4786. HTH

let us know how it goes. :-)

Oh boy! Let's see, one pound equals 454 grams. 1 oz. by weight equals approximately 28.3 grams. I think that's right, Joanne, so weight 450 g of wax and add 28 g of FO. If you want to be precise, weight 454g of wax and add 28.35 g of FO by weight.

Ok thanks very much.

Not sure if you got my email the other day regarding wax tarts? Just wanted to keep you updated on the situation, still not arrived but I am hoping that now Xmas is over the post will start coming through again properly x

I am using a paraffin blend (4630) and have tested LX, HTP and CD wick. First I would suggest 6% to 8% FO load. You are already suing grams to figuring out the percentage of FO should not be too hard. As for wicking in a 3.5" container, I would test LX-18 and LX-20. Testing one size higher and lower might also be needed. There is no exact answer but those should get you in the ball park.

Hi, many thanks for reply.

Would you mind me asking what wick did you like out of your testing? X

I made a series of containers from 2.5 to 4 inch, no one type of wicks seems to work "the best" for all of them. The smaller ones do well with CD and HTP while the larger ones liked the LX.

I use CD wicks in my paraffin, 4630. In the 3.5 jars I use I use a CD12 sometimes a CD14. 1.5 FO per lb.

Exactly what I tested and I had too much soot, the flames were dancing and at time sideways in the container (apothecary and Status Jars). I could burn a pillar candle right next to it and the flame never moved so I am guess that it is air flow into the container. I really wanted to use the CD wick with 4630,they gave me the best HT but the black on the glass ruins it for me. You never see this?

Exactly what I tested and I had too much soot, the flames were dancing and at time sideways in the container (apothecary and Status Jars). I could burn a pillar candle right next to it and the flame never moved so I am guess that it is air flow into the container. I really wanted to use the CD wick with 4630,they gave me the best HT but the black on the glass ruins it for me. You never see this?

I ran into the exact same thing you did. Drove me crazy since so many people love CD wicks. I did get the best HT from them but the flames were really bad doing exactly what you ran into with the dancing and sideways burning. I also used apothecary jars (3 5/8") and Madison (3"). Had the same problem with J223. When I take either of those same waxes and blend them 50/50 with C3 I get a steady flame...most times.