EO vs FO?

lovebug7480

Hey everyone, my husband and I are on the way to starting CPOP soap making. We want to keep our soaps as natural as possible and were curious about EO vs FO in soaps. What do you guys prefer and is there any pros and cons to either?

We're also wondering if soy soap (I'm assuming soybean oil) makes good soap. We have no clue to what type of recipes are best. We want a really creamy, lathery and natural bar that works well with the CPOP method. Any suggestions or recipes would be oh so helpful!

Also, we don't really want to use synthetic dyes. What are some natural dyes that work. I've seen people mention tumeric for yellow. Do these natural dyes work as well as synthetic dyes? Sorry this was so long, TIA everyone!!!

I've noticed also, that the soaps of mine with EO's, generally the fragrance doesn't last as long as those with FOs. The only soap that the fragrance has lasted is one I used tangerine and anchored it with litsea.

Goats Milk soap makes a really nice bar with a very creamy lather and works great with CPOP. Freeze your gm first and slowly add your lye so as to avoid curdling. It still O.K. if it curdles but will turn a putrid orange for a time and your soap will be darker.

I probably have a 50/50 mix of EO/FO soaps, and the FOs do seem to sell a bit better. Will just depend on your target market. I've sold at a "crunchy granola" (that's the term around here, no offense ;) ) and sold FOs 2:1, which really surprised me lol...

I have more fun with the EOs though, I love mixing. Some EOs do fade quickly and need to be anchored with base notes. Another disadvantage is some of the nice ones can be spendy, though there are EOs that are prices comparatively to FOs.

Soybean oil is nice and conditioning (and inexpensive!), but a very "soft oil", so I would make sure to use enough hard oils to compensate. I've also heard some people have problems with DOS (dreaded orange spots) when they use too high of a percentage of soy.

Natural color work great - you won't get the very bright colors of the synthetic dyes, but clays, ultramarines and oxides (if you want to consider them nature), herbs, spices all make nice colors.

Thanks for your help everyone! How much FO do you generally use in making soap? I'm used to making candles, so using FO in soap will be a new thing for me. I know that some are skin safe and some are not. Can you use FO and EO in the same batch? Using just EO makes me nervous if the smell can dissipate over time. I know that people must appreciate a continuously great smelling bar of soap!