goat's milk question from a newbie

jackie

I was looking at the beginner recipe for goat's milk soap which basically says to chill the goat's milk and then don't insulate the mold. I've read that some people refrigerate milk soap overnight. I understand the milk adds heat and you don't want it to scorch. So my question is--would this be an "either/o"r situation where you either chill the milk OR you don't do that but you refrigerate the soap so it does not overheat. I was going to do both but then got concerned that if was too cool, the soap wouldn't turn out properly. I want to try the same recipe both with and without the goat's milk so I can see the difference, if any. Thanks in advance.

I freeze my goat's milk & add the lye to the frozen milk & stir, stir, stir it until the frozen milk is disolved. The fat in the goat milk doesn't carmelize if you keep the lye/milk cool enough. I make my soap in a log mold & gell by covering my mold because too often I had a "bullseye" in the middle of my soap because of a partial gell. The gelled soap gets a bit darker by gelling but at least it's all the same color.

I freeze my milk, pour lye gradually until milk and lye are mixed together. Temp of mixture doesn't go above 90*. Heat my oils and butters, let that cool to around 90*. Mix lye-milk mixture into oils. After trace I pour soap batter into log mold. Place in fridge for 3 hours the I place mold on my counter overnight. Cutie to bars.

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I tried to soap my GM being added at light trace. No insulation and placed mold into fridge for 3 hours then placed on counter over night. Opened mold this morning and saw partial gel had occurred. Cut into bars. Dark tan in color except the ends creamy color. Did everything that I know to prevent gel. As I have said on this thread, I freeze my GM then add my lye slowly. But wanted to try adding it at trace because it sounded less time consuming. Any suggestions?