House of Soy?

Hi all, I'm new here. Been lurking for a while and most of my questions have been answered from doing searches, so thank you. I've been making candles using EcoSoya CBA unsuccessfully for a year(no HT) and just started using the 6006 which is a little better but not great. The wicks I tried and have plenty of are LX, ECO, HTP, SS, CD and various wood wicks. For some reason the FO that I like from CS & WSP do not like me :angry2:. So on to my question:

Has anyone here tried the FO's from http://www.house-of-soy.com ? How well do they perform in soy for you? Particularly the Woodsy/earthy FO's. Do they work well with CB Adv or 6006? I am dieing to buy a bunch but can't afford to have any more FO's that I regret buying, have too many as it is. I tried to do a search but came up with nothing.

btw, I am attempting to make these candles in vintage ball 6-7oz jelly jars.

Sorry if my post sounds spaztic but I'm trying to get ready for work and running late as usual :rolleyes2.

Thanks in advance!

6006 is primarily paraffin and it is best to treat it like paraffin. I have not used that company but I did notice that they are very expensive. If you are having trouble with Candle Science's fragrance oils it might be the wick/wax combo. If you're looking for an all soy wax try c-3 415, para-soy 6006 is very good, or a custom blend. All paraffin 4630.

I agree that you should post your method, there might be something you're doing that is making the combo not work (though with cb advanced there is likely no chance of that ever 'working' imo)

If you have been testing in CB-Advanced you are not getting a true idea of how fragrance oil (FO) perform in soy. The next best thing to CB-A that I use is 464. It throws well but has appearance issue (frosting). As mentioned, 6006 is a paraffin/soy blend while 4630 is all paraffin. I think 4630 is very soy-like without being soy, it throws very well and does not frost. Over wicking does produce soot. 415 is all soy, throws well but some find it difficult to work with and has appearance uses (cracks, pits. sink holes, and a cottage cheese look when remelted after a burn). Definitely try another wax before you start chasing FOs that work in CB-A.

I have done a little work with 6006 using LX and CD wicks. Peak's Lilac threw very well (almost too well) in it.

The next best thing to CB-A that I use is 464. It throws well but has appearance issue (frosting).
I disagree. IMHO, NatureWax C3 is superior to GW 464 in several respects, most notably, HT and the number of FOs which play nicely with it. It, like 464, suffers from increased polymorphic changes which have to be mitigated if one wants to produce a frost-free candle. Additional USA (C3 already contains distilled monoglycerides, as does 464) is a wise move.
Definitely try another wax before you start chasing FOs that work in CB-A.
I completely agree. If I were making UNSCENTED plain or colored candles, CBA would be my first choice, but for making scented candles it closely resembles a beautiful woman with absolutely no brains.
I think 4630 is very soy-like without being soy, it throws very well and does not frost.
Paraffin is not polymorphic. It has no "frosting" issues. It also does not contain the number of natural fatty acids found in veggie waxes. The molecular composition is different. Whether it resembles soy wax in certain aspects (creaminess, opaque color, etc.) does not mean it has any meaningful chemical similarities which is why is is not comparable to a soy wax. I would expect a good HT from it because it is paraffin. Veggie waxes, even at their best, do not have the same HT potential as do paraffin waxes, all other things being equal (ie. wicking), but they come very close.

Quickwick, to help you with HT from any wax, first we need to know basic information - temperature to which the wax was melted, temperature at which FO was added, amount of FO used, type and size of wick, cure time, etc. Without knowing these things, it's impossible to really help other than to state the obvious deficiency of CBA to be able to throw its way out of a paper bag. If you go to the NGI website, they have a "fragrance program" of manufacturers whose products have tested to work well with NGI waxes. You'd have to contact them to see which manufacturers and which suppliers carry those FOs.

My best suggestion to you is to test a different wax. I recommend NatureWax C3. CD and CDN wicks work very well with C3. It needs a decent cure time to allow fragrances to develop in the wax - at LEAST 48 hours, preferably a week. I split this down the middle and cure for a minimum of 5 days before testing. When you do test, try to use a container whose properties will not work against you - something between 2½-3 inches in diameter with straight sides and not too much taller than it is wide is usually a good choice. Initial wax testing is a PITA for sure, which is why I recommend using smaller containers first until you understand what to expect from the wax; then go on to larger volume containers and fancy styles if you like. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

Stella - please stop replying to my posts unless you read them. How can you disagree with my statement: "The next best thing to CB-A that I use is 464. It throws well but has appearance issues (frosting)." I don't care if you think C3 is superior, what I said was of the waxes I USE, not what you use and I don't use C3.

I don't care if you think C3 is superior, what I said was of the waxes I USE, not what you use and I don't use C3.
Perhaps you should check it out. :-)

my apologies to the OP for the hijack

maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing where you can purchase the FOs on that website

I clicked on "wholesale" and it says to email them regarding this... maybe I missed something, too...

Edited by Stella1952

THANKS, Beth!

I didn't think of looking under "kits" - Of particular interest is they carry CDN 26 wicks for those big containers! :yay:

They sure carry a lot of FOs - shame the description isn't on the same page, but I found them under the various groupings on the left side of the page. They are a little pricey, but if they work well, the extra may be worth it!

Thanks again for the "new to me" link! :smiley2:

OK, where to start, where to start? First of all thank you all for your kind replies. I have given up on CBA for now (not a good "starter" wax). I like the 6006, just wish it was more soy than paraffin, but if it works, it works. The C-3 was next on my hit list anyway, so glad to see people heavily recommending it.

My last batch of 6006 I had one candle/ FO & wick combo that performed amazing for me out of the bunch. It was the WSP "crackling firewood" FO paired with the BitterCreek wood wick #2 doubled up, + a 6 day cure time. The container was a 3x3" vintage Ball jelly jar. Heated the wax to 195 added 1oz FO, stir stir stir, poured at 180, popped them into the oven to cool overnight.

I also did a batch using CS "Mediteranian fig" same heating & pouring temps. Had success with the htp 104 & LX 22 nice burn, HT was pretty good. But a little too girly of a FO for my liking.

Last week I did another batch using the same temps, but used CS driftwood and WSP Vanilla Oak. Can't recall the various wicks that I used (bad at keeping notes, I know I know!) I thought they all sucked HT wise but my coworkers said they could smell them. I think they were just being nice.

Anywho, kind of bummed and intrigued at the same time that no one has used the House of Soy FO yet :/ Hmmmm, looks like another random FO gamble for me! Ugh, but there are like 50 of them that I am curious about. It's going to take a week of me just staring at their site for hours to pin down at least 5 FO's. Please keep your fingers crossed that they don't suck!!!

Thanks again for all your input. This is a really nice group and I'm really excited to be here.

Happy New Year Everybody!!!

House of Soy is just a reseller of other middle man's oils. They buy from the same suppliers we do and then they mix them, name them and sell them or just flat out resell. Or at least that is what they told me 6-8 months ago when I asked about lb + prices. Some of their mixes sound great but nothing you couldn't do on your own. But might be fun to play with some of their mixes.

Wax, I never got enough throw out of CBA or C3 but that was also a couple years ago. I have had great throw out of 464 and have never looked back. I know several people who mix 75% soy (464, 415, etc not positive which ones work for them best to be able to quote to you) with 25% 6006 and pour hot, love the throw and the appearance. So many possibilities. I would choose something close to home for shipping costs and then tweak it.