white round circles on sides and bottom of soap?

powderblueboutique

I have been making hot process for 7-8 years or so, I use one of kathy millers recipes, always have success.

I tried cold process yesterday. The soap is still a little soft, but is still cutting nice...smells great.

The Problem: small white circles, on the sides and underneath the soap. All are the size of a dime or smaller. I do not see any on the inside. Some look a little traily.

In hot process it is recommended to use 1 once or more of fragrance per pound. I stuck with that rule, and maybe just used way too much. or is this another problem? IDK

so this is the recipe

16 oz palm

14 oz coconut

52 oz olive

6 oz cocoa butter

32 oz cold water

12 oz lye

4 oz fragrance (oops!)

Mixed lye and oils around 100

not sure if it's stearic acid, lye pockets, or the fragrance. Any input appreciated, Thanks!

Kari

It looks like an incomplete gel to me with some stearic acid spots beginning to show, but I'm very new to soaping and others more experienced may have some other ideas...

Mixed lye and oils around 100

I sometimes have stearic acid spots when soaping at lower temps because the MP of stearic acid is so much higher than many of the other fatty acids in the formula...

You have a lot of hard oils in your recipe, I think it is stearic , it looks like the soap may not have gelled all the way to the edges ..I use .07 oz PPO when I CP, but I don't think using an oz PPO would have any effect except a stronger fragrance. Did you zap test it? I think it looks kind of cool..

What kind of mold did you use? I find it nearly impossible to get gel with anything but a wooden mold. In winter I heat my oven up to 170 and pop the soap in there and turn the oven off, I cover it with a towel and leave the oven light on..

I use lots of "found" molds - anything from cardboard boxes to plastic cream puff containers, but I wrap them with towels, put the mold on my towel shelf and then cover it with more towels. I try very hard not to peek.

I didn't explain much about the temp in my reply above. If the mixture is too cool, the stearic acid starts hardening first. I have actually seen this in the oils when the temp is dropping - looks like teensy little clear flecks of stuff in there. By the time it's poured, the stearic is gathering together (like birds of a feather). I try not to wait until a heavy trace to pour into the mold, especially if I know there is a high percentage of stearic acid in the formula. I only use the SBer a few bursts unless the soap is threatening to separate, rice or become a huge, gloppy mess. If that happens, I throw it into the crock pot and CPHP it.

I think things started out too cool, then the soap couldn't get produce/retain enough heat to gel the whole thing.

I separated the soap into two separate molds. one silicone one wooden. It happened to both. I discussed putting it in the oven with my husband, but we weren't sure the degree. So that total sense. I couldn't justify turning my dryer on.

I will try again this weekend.

I did the zap test, I did get a little sting, but it wasn't the same kind of sting when it is really lye heavy. I think it was a little early though.

It definitley has a distinctive look, lol. apperently this doesn't happen too often, as there is no info about this, I have a one of a kind!

Thanks for your help :)

I always try to get the oils & lye liquid within 5°F of one another. I worry more about the temp of the oils being high enough to prevent the stearic from precipitating, but honestly, I'm not sure this is incredibly "mission critical" - just soap at a warmer temp than you did before, don't SB too much (just a few bursts here and there), and insulate your mold really well. If it's cold there, try using a heating pad for extra warmth or the oven trick kitn mentioned.