Ready to LOSE it!!

I have been making candles for a little over a year now and have tested,tested,tested. I had THOUGHT that I finally found the right wick selection. I have been burning the same f/o and hae made it the same way numerous times over the past year. I just started burning this candle a few days ago and noticed alot of hang up which NEVER EVER HAPPEND before with this formula. I am beside myself thinking that what I thought I had achieved after all the testing and money in the last year is not right all of a sudden. I figured ok maybe a draft so I moved it to another room and it never caught up. I am now more that half way through a 10 oz candle and its getting worse. I know its best to wait until its done to see if it catches up but its downright looking ugly and not up to my standards. Could it be the temperature change? Its only been hitting 40 degrees and thought maybe thats it? I am confused!!!

I am using 10oz status jars, 415,1 oz f/o per pound and CD-1O'S. Any ideas?

Mike

Sounds to me as if your system is sound (I use 464 and same wicks), all I can say is are you using the SAME batch of FO and wicks or did you recently order and replace one or both of those? As for temp, I hope that it is not 40 in your house. If it is then, that would be the problem. Not sure how wide your hang-up is but you could make a tester with a CD-12 or maybe a CD-14. If the larger wick solves the problem you may have to adjust your wick size to account for seasonal temps.

Went back and looked at the original post, as far as I know there are not 10oz jars, 8 or 12. For the 8 oz I use CD-10s and for the 12 oz I use CD 14 or CD-16 with 464.

The 10 oz was a typo. They are the 12oz jars. I have poured new testers to see whats happening. I poured CD-12's,CD-14's and CD-16's.

No its not 40 degrees inside.;) Room temps were 70-72.

Mike

Edited by Mountain Soy Candle

• 2 weeks later...

Don't panic! I'd lay a big buck bet that it's the temperature drop. I went through the same thing... I developed a candle & got it exactly right, but this was during Autumn/ Winter. Come Summer, the candle is now carrying on like it's way over wicked =( I felt exactly the same as you & was thinking does it EVER end????

I am not sure what to do now, so I'm messing round with smaller wicks, now the weather is warmer & I am hoping to find a "Happy Medium", but what is THAT? It's so frustrating, but I seriously don't believe there's anything wrong with everything else you are doing.

Good Luck... I'm not sure what the answer is because we have no idea when & where any candle we sell is going to get burned. Hot? Cold? Gah!!!