Help with paraffin container candles

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice please.

I have made 2 small paraffin container blend jar candles. The jars hold 95 grams of wax and the diameter at the top of jar is roughly 1.5 inches. I used C'S spiced apple and peaches f/o and used 6-7 ml.

They have cured for 24 hours and today I lit them and they have no hot throw, cold throw is amazing.

The wicks I used are Wedo lx12 and cotton core 3x12c. I have full melt pools but no hot throw? Just wondered if anyone can help me? If the wick is too big does that mean that it can make the candle have no throw?

Two observations. First, the container is pretty small. Hot throw is determined by several variables, the most important is the pool diameter. At an inch and a half diameter, the pool is not that big. Wider jars will be worth looking at. Second, I think your FO load is light but if I'm reading the numbers right, you are using about 4 to 5 percent FO load and I generally go to 8 or 9 percent. 6 percent is the norm.

Your diameter is similar to a votive, maybe a little less. For votivies I use LX-10 wicks. You say you have a full melt pool but maybe too much of the FO is being consumed by the flame ( I have run across this before). One test I would suggest would be to try an LX-10 as there is a significant difference in rate of consumption between the 10 and the 12 (0.15 and 0.18). If you have good CT then this might be a possible solution.

For paraffin you just want to make sure that it is completely cooled to room temp, so 24 hours. Your little jars will cool a lot faster than a larger jar. I generally wait 48 hours. Curing (in my opinion) is more relevant to soy and veggie waxes, what it is and how it works is a mystery to me.

Good Luck with the LX-10 test. I think you will need a super good throwing fragrance oil for a jar that small but it fun to try.

Edited by rjdaines

Sorry for dup post above. Does anyone know how I work out f/o ratio? If I want to use 9% and I am using 95 grams of wax, how do I know how many ml's I need?

Thank you x

9% of 95 grams is 8.55 grams by weight. To figure this to measure in Milliliters you will need to know what the Specific Gravity is of the FO is. The conversion of 8.55 grams is the same in Millilieters (8.55ml) if you are using water, but to get the actual volume of 8.55 grams of your FO you must multiply 8.55 by the Specific Gravity of that FO and it will give you your amount in Milliliters. The Specific Gravity should be on the MSDS Sheet for the FO or you can contact the Manufacturer or supplier. It is much easier to weigh your FO's so as not to have to make so many conversions and it is more accurate. If accuracy is not that important to you then just add 8.55 milliliters to your wax, for some people that is close enough. HTH

Yes, if you are going to weigh your FO then that is perfect (8.55 grams) added to the 95 grams of wax. If you are trying to use Milliliters then you have to do the math to be accurate and you need to find the Specific Gravity then I can help you calculate it if needed.

Edited by CaftCandles