What to do?

Ok the HPT1212 wick is way to big for my 3" dia 16oz jar got a huge flame, lot of bouncing with the flame also, black smoke and in less then an hour had almost a fmp. So now what do I do? :angry2: I stoped the burn. Can I melt this candle down, and try a different wick? Any suggestions. I ordered a sample pack of the HPT's from Peak's should I go with the 104 or go with the 93. I hope Stella chimes in and give me some advice, lol I guess I will have to order some of the CDN's? Are the CDN know under another name? HELP!!!! :shocked2:

Edited by cary

Hi Cary, I use the same jar (mainstay 16oz) and with CBA soy used the HTP 126 and it worked well, try a 105. You can melt it down, either by double boiler or in oven set at 200*, then pour into new tester jar. This may slightly alter ht but sounds like your just testing for wick sizing so you'll be fine. You can find CDN's at Southwestcandlesupply.com or CD's at Lonestar...either will work but the CDN's are specifically for soy HTH :smiley2:

I agree with everyone. The HT may take a minor hit, but should not be so much as to totally skew your test results., especially when you are first looking for burn properties.

Some people disagree with my learning method, and they prefer to test everything at once because that will be how their final candle has to burn, a point which has merit, particularly for certain individuals. I discovered when I was "learning" my waxes and developing my "candle system," I did better to test the wax alone first to get the wicking generally straight in specific containers. Then I added ingredients one by one to see how they worked together and affected the burn properties. It took a little longer at first, but I could always refer back to those initial results later when just testing a new batch of the same wax or a new FO or other resupplied ingredient. Having solid data at the beginning makes troubleshooting future issues go far more easily.

I understand how frustrating testing can be at first. I quickly got to a point that I had several waxes, a slew of different containers, wick brands & sizes, a zillion FOs, additives, dyes and just a mess of issues that I didn't know which witch was which!! I took a giant step back, did some methodical testing and I found it far easier to move forward more quickly and accurately with my testing. I picked two containers (the ones I intended to sell first) and did all my testing in those. That's when things started moving in the right direction for me. Once I "learned" those containers and what to expect from them with consistency, it made testing other aspects of the candles so much easier and quicker. Nowadays, I pour a 4 oz. container of my wax to test new fragrances or component ingredients (one at a time!). I don't "waste" much wax because I know that container should perform. If the results vary from the "mean" I have previously established, it tells me that I will have to perform further in-depth testing on the other, larger containers I sell. If it is the same, I can do a quick run through (make only one tester) and rock on. Testing for me these days is pretty easy except when I'm trying new things; then it's back to the trenches.

There is a point in the learning curve where the subject (that's thee & me) becomes super frustrated (I call this the "sh*t throwing lunatic" phase) and is ready to tear their hair out and throw themselves on the floor kicking and screaming. This usually occurs right before the "light bulb" comes on and things begin to fall into place. If you are feeling anything like that, take heart - you actually are beginning to "get it." :smiley2:

"There is a point in the learning curve where the subject (that's thee & me) becomes super frustrated (I call this the "sh*t throwing lunatic" phase) and is ready to tear their hair out and throw themselves on the floor kicking and screaming."

I wish you wouldn't talk about me like that :)

Thank you! This helps so much. I am just starting with one container size for now. I want to avoide the "sh*t throwing lunatic" phase, lmao! at all cost, but I'm sure at some point it will come. I'm just taking my time and learning as I go and reading alot on this forum. Thank you IMC for the suppliers, I will check them out for sure. I do have one more question. I have 3" dia 8oz tin's, thats a little over 2" tall. could this be use to do testing in, and (oh heck what am I trying to spit out?) sense its close to the same dia. as my jar, or does it have to be of the same height? I'm such a wax drip, lmao!!! ;)

Tins and glass containers have different burn properties. If you plan to sell tins, then test tins. If you plan to sell glass containers, then test them. If you are just trying to get a grip on what you are doing - learning how to wick, reduce frosting, have pleasing HT, then I'd suggest using a 4-8 oz. container for testing.

PS Try a CDN 12 in that 3" tin.

Thanks Stella I will try that, I'm mainly going to stick with jars for the most point. I think I will order the sample pack of CDNs today and give them a try. thanks again everyone. :)

Where are you getting your sample pack of CDNs? I can't seem to find one, just a sample pack of CDs.

Lone Star only has CDs, not CDNs. I did find a supplier who will do a sample pack of CDN, but they are in Australia. Shipping to California would be awful I'm sure lol.

I use CD and am quite happy with them. I have not found a reason to pursue locating a supplier of CDNs.