Just ordered some FO's from Peaks, but everybody on my list wants Vanilla! lol

HorseScentS

You might be right, but I thought the working temp of 4627 is between 185 and 195 and you are supposed to pour at 190. I was told to add FO between 185 and 195, and that heavy FOs need to be added at the higher temp.

I guess I can't argue one way or the other after I've searched the net for more information. One site says high temp and another says low temp but that information comes from wax suppliers, I couldn't find any manufacturer recommendations. I know on a moleculare level there is no reason to heat your wax or FOs that high to achieve a good looking and burning candle unless you are blending waxes or certain dyes and additives. I know to create a molecular bond of waxes for example you need to heat it between 185 and 200 (depending on waxes and additives) to get them to bind together and become one. As far as FOs they don't need to be binded together with wax on a molecular level, just adequately blended because they share most of the same properties. In fact if you do bind your FOs molecularly it is probable that you will lock it in the wax and will get a poor HT, just like adding to much Vybar, which does the same thing. I see that many people say that you must add your FOs at a certain temp to give you a good HT which may be true however you will loose a lot of throw due to evaporation (being cooked out) at those temperatures therefore shortening or weakening the performance. I've done a lot of testing to figure out why you get great, mind blowing HT with one wick and nill with another, and in my testing I've learned that FOs no matter if in wax or not has a narrow temp range that they work best at (depending on FO type). I have been able to tweek (raise) that range with different waxes at higher temps but with sacrafice to the length of performance, meaning that you can get a great HT at a high temp but for a shorter period of time suggesting that at higher temps, the FOs cook off quicker. The wick that you use is what should do all of the work to heat the FO and release the fragrance through vaporization. Everything I've read and learned states that FOs should be added just before you pour so as not to loose any (cook them off) while they are setting up. I've tried it, I do it, and I don't stir FOs in wax for 1 min, 3 min or whatever others claim they do, I gently mix it until I see no more FO lingering in the wax and it works well as long as you do not create any thermal shock when you combine them or when you pour into the containers which will give you an ugly candle but not an adverse affect on performance.

Look at the videos on this site of some candle pouring equipment that blends FOs and dyes as the wax is being poured into the containers. IMO this is the correct way and definatly the most efficient. http://www.coogarproducts.com/products/pumpers/mark.htm

I'm interested to hear your results.

Edited by CaftCandles

CraftCandles, thank you so much for that info on heating to a higher temp for blending waxes to make them bind together.

I've never done a blend but I've kicked the idea around for certain things, and I honestly had never heard to heat it any higher than the melt point for the highest melt point wax u have in the blend.

Good info to have, thanks again!

I have a friend at work who buys nothing but vanilla bean (I use candlemaker's store) and pomegranate candles from me. I finally convinced her she needs to branch out and try something else, so she ordered chocolate covered cherries this last time. I have another customer that gets nothing but harvest pumpkin spice (a blend I make from peaks sweet pumpkin spice, Amish harvest and cinnamon stick). I'm glad she likes it but I'd love to see her "branch out". I think folks get stuck in a scent rut, which is why I try to offer unusual scents and a lot of custom blends. Help them shake it up a bit.

Edited by Faerywren

That video's pretty neat but you can obviously see the diff btw some employee and someone who cares - take the segment with the guy filling jars - they had been all set up with the wicks centered and as he went along filling he was knocking them all off center (by a LOT) and didn't care - just kept going. Would explain some of the crap I see out there with dangerously off center wicks.

That video's pretty neat but you can obviously see the diff btw some employee and someone who cares - take the segment with the guy filling jars - they had been all set up with the wicks centered and as he went along filling he was knocking them all off center (by a LOT) and didn't care - just kept going. Would explain some of the crap I see out there with dangerously off center wicks.

I seen that too. They need some quality control at that plant. How do they get by with that?

Your right! They do move the wick bars off to the side but they do that for a reason. Because the wax / FO & Dye are being blended in the wand the pourers move them aside so they can move to wand around to aid in blending. Someone will come behind them and stratighten them before they set up, they just dont show it in the video because its all about the equipment. BUT! The workers still have the expressions of "Trained Monkeys", which is basically what they are. With that in mind, the ones off center that you have seen is probably due to poor QA/QC and poor Management to enforce it.