Candle Recipes

I was just wondering if anyone was willing to sure some of their recipes...as far as FO, wick and wax...Just wondering where to start or just do I start doing things and go from there? Hope everyone's had a great holiday!

Don't know if many will share their candle recipes. Always remember that what works beautifully for one person may end up looking and performing as an awful disaster for another. You still must test your product, there's no avoiding it, lol.

Having said that, here is one of my "recipes":

Wax: 4786 (paraffin) - 1 lb.

FO: Autumn lodge

Amount 1 oz.

Wick: 51z

Container: Status jar (12.25 oz from LS)

You're welcome. Remember to read this forum ad nauseatum, lol. Do your own testing. Decide on one wax, one container and one FO; choose a simple container. Don't do like yours truly, jumping from wax to another, one container to another.... drove me crazier than I already am, lol

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about my recipe is that although some test their paraffin candles within 24 hours, I prefer to let mine cure 3 or 4 days.

HTH. Have fun; read and test, read and test! Oh, did I forget to mention this? read and test, LOL

P.S. Have you decided on a wax yet? Please don't ask me which wax throws the best, or I'll scream:laugh2: It's the wax that will work for you.

You did not mention what type of wax interests you - paraffin, soy, beeswax or palm... Are you wanting to make container candles or molded ones like votives & pillars? Are you interested in dyed candles or plain? Do you simply want to make a few candles for your personal use or do you want to gift or sell them to others? Give us some information on what your goals are and perhaps we can point you in a direction to learn.

A simple "recipe" is not a good place to start, IMHO. While candlemaking is not rocket science, it isn't like making homemade sugar cookies either. It requires more knowledge than a simple ingredient and materials list to get started. I promise you that if every candlemaker here wrote out their "recipe" as above, you would see how individual and vast the differences of opinion are. With candlemaking, technique and procedure are almost as important as the materials used. There is just no way to condense that kind of information to a "recipe." The archives and sticky notes here contain a HUGE amount of material regarding beginning candlemaking (look at the top of this forum). My best suggestion is to do a lot of research and homework if you want to learn how to make candles. Nearly every supplier has basic candlemaking information on their website. This is not an inexpensive hobby nor is it as "easy peasy" as Martha Stewart makes it seem on her videos.

Decide what type of candles you wish to make.

Choose a wax type.

From there, choose a wax brand.

Review suppliers websites close to your location.

Purchase basic tools and equipment (thermometers, scale, etc.)

Purchase wax, a FEW FO samples, dye (research which type will be most applicable to the wax you are using)

Decide which wick type you wish to try in the wax you have selected.

Purchase a sample bag of wicks so you have a wide range of sizes from which to choose.

Reading the posts here and old fashioned studying are my best suggestions to learning how to pour candles. Good luck & HTH. :)

well, as far as wax, here's my issue...right now I'm working with paraffin and there is no one in Indianapolis that sells it wholesale, so since I'm just starting I have been going to Hobby Lobby and buying wax there b/c I can't really afford to pay for the shipping to order it online...but if I decide to go to soy, I do have someone in town that sells wholesale...I've been doing container candles and just made a couple votives the other day but again I'm just playing around right now and trying to get the feel of things:)

They may not be located exactly where you live, but off the top of my head I can think of Mill Creek Candle Supply and Indiana Candle Supply. Mill Creek, if I'm not mistaken, only sell soy; their soy125 is the same as the GB415.

Also, you may want to check the suppliers by State sticky at the top of this forum.

I wish you all the best, and keep in mind that what works for me or someone else will not automatically work for you also... way too many variables. Have fun and keep us posted!

well, as far as wax, here's my issue...right now I'm working with paraffin and there is no one in Indianapolis that sells it wholesale, so since I'm just starting I have been going to Hobby Lobby and buying wax there b/c I can't really afford to pay for the shipping to order it online...but if I decide to go to soy, I do have someone in town that sells wholesale...I've been doing container candles and just made a couple votives the other day but again I'm just playing around right now and trying to get the feel of things:)

Mill Creek does not allow local pickup, unfortunately, and Hobby Lobby wax, ummm, sucks.

I feel ya on the shipping, but that is part of it for many of us who do not live close enough to a supplier for local pickup. Nearly all candle supply sites will allow you to price the shipping prior to making an order. Some suppliers have better shipping deals than do others, so don't heistate to check suppliers that are a good distance from you - you may be very surprised! Many offer great sales to help folks get started. If you are really into this, many suppliers offer gift certificates - put them on your Christmas list when people ask (or need suggestions) about what you want for Christmas!

If you can purchase soy wax locally, check the brand of wax and cost with online suppliers to compare. It might be cheaper to get it shipped to you! Check your local Craig's list to see if someone is selling supplies there. If you can locate other candlemakers in your area, they might be interested in selling you some wax or going in with you on a shipment. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck! : )

Mill Creek does not allow local pickup, unfortunately, and Hobby Lobby wax, ummm, sucks.

I feel ya on the shipping, but that is part of it for many of us who do not live close enough to a supplier for local pickup. Nearly all candle supply sites will allow you to price the shipping prior to making an order. Some suppliers have better shipping deals than do others, so don't heistate to check suppliers that are a good distance from you - you may be very surprised! Many offer great sales to help folks get started. If you are really into this, many suppliers offer gift certificates - put them on your Christmas list when people ask (or need suggestions) about what you want for Christmas!

If you can purchase soy wax locally, check the brand of wax and cost with online suppliers to compare. It might be cheaper to get it shipped to you! Check your local Craig's list to see if someone is selling supplies there. If you can locate other candlemakers in your area, they might be interested in selling you some wax or going in with you on a shipment. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck! : )

Yea I checked Craigslist and there were a couple people selling stuff but they wanted either 1800 or 3000 and that was just a ridiculous price to me lol And the one who wanted 3000 didn't even have any wax, just scents and molds and melters

Bluegrass sells soy & CD wicks, so you're good to go if you choose soy. :)

Ravens, I think ICS only sells FOs, no wax.

You're right, Beth; thanks for reminding me' they sell just FOs.

To the OP: even if Millcreek offers no pick-up, have you checked into their shipping costs?

Their 415 is a couple dollars more than Peak. It's over $14 for 10 lbs. And for them to ship it to me (an hour away), it would cost $10.36 for a 10 lb bag. :(

Bluegrass is $12.50 for 10lbs of 415 and shipping to me (2 hours away) is only $8.

Just an fyi to help the OP. Look everywhere, add everything to cart to get shipping and then compare. Sometimes closer is more! lol.

Well if the truth be known, Hobby Lobby sells you wax at retail cost with local tax and if you were to buy that same wax from a wholesaler; you would probably come close to the same amount due to shipping. Some of the distributors offer free or reduced shipping if you buy over a certain amount and this is a great deal IMHO. Buy a kit or a slab/bag for testing and catch someone who is having a sale on 1-2 oz testers and go from there. This is an expensive hobby and totally addictive. It all seems simple but none of the forms are simple or easy. Whether you are looking at making container, votive, pillar, tarts or smellies; they all have their glitches and learning curve. I advise a paraffin votive kit for the best starter experience.

Steve

Check out DPS Morris wax. They are next door to you in Illinois and one of the options is Fed Ex ground which is always reasonable.

& with soy at DPS, you can get as little as 3 lbs to sample. Wish I'd known that when I started, lol.

I wouldn't waste my time testing wax that I am not going to continue to use, because your results will be different when you buy good wax. You have to decide if you want the extra challenge of working with soy to save shipping costs. Might be worth it for you. JMO

Don't know if many will share their candle recipes. Always remember that what works beautifully for one person may end up looking and performing as an awful disaster for another. You still must test your product, there's no avoiding it, lol.

Having said that, here is one of my "recipes":

Wax: 4786 (paraffin) - 1 lb.

FO: Autumn lodge

Amount 1 oz.

Wick: 51z

Container: Status jar (12.25 oz from LS)

Ravens...is this a wax that requires a 2nd pour? Its one of the few IGI's I haven't tried yet. Worth it...iyo?

Yes, Jeanie, the 4786 is a very good wax but does require a repour. I decided quite some time ago that in most cases, a great throwing paraffin will need a repour.

Ravens...is this a wax that requires a 2nd pour? Its one of the few IGI's I haven't tried yet. Worth it...iyo?

I was just wondering if anyone was willing to sure some of their recipes...as far as FO, wick and wax...Just wondering where to start or just do I start doing things and go from there? Hope everyone's had a great holiday!

I started with a kit from Lone Star Candle Co (I'm still working with it, but I have since ordered a few other FO's and wick sizes.) I think most of the suppliers have kits of some sort. If you feel completely overwhelmed by all of the options (like I did,) using a kit can give you a starting point.

So much for sharing recipes!

Sorry, I can't help with paraffin :) Not that I could really help too much with anything at this point, lol.

But from a newbie perspective, just reading the forums and seeing what is said about each type of wax is a starting point. OP can do a search for each wax and then pick up the tips as far as wicking, for example. And another newbie tip, which I wish I would've done: pick ONE jar, ONE wax, and a handful of FOs. And MORE THAN ONE OUNCE OF EACH FO. When you botch a batch and need to re-do the wicking, your FO is gone if you only bought a 1 oz-er.

Honestly no one would be doing you any justice by give you their recipies. Part of being a quality chandler is going through the paces, failing more than succeding. It's what we learn by doing so that makes us good candle makers and gives you the experience to troubleshoot problems in the future. I know someone that purchased a candle company from others and they were taught how to make those specific candles and nothing about wax, wicking, testing or anything else. They later added some new fragrances and they burn horribly, at about a half a jar the glasss turns PITCH BLACK from all the smoking! If they would have went through trial and error like most people do, then they would know how to correct those problems. Take your time and do a lot of reasearch and most importantly ask questions when you get stumped. HTH

I agree Hobby Lobby is not a desireable wax. However, I have used it in a pinch with Vybar 103 (bought in 5 pound bags) at 2 tablespoons per pound. Hobby lobby is basicaly straight wax with no additives. It is cheap and if you can pick it up locally, is a good place to start. You will need to look around for your additives and buy in bulk rather than pay $5 for 4 ounces. Hobby Lobby is a good place to start until you narrow down your issues with learning. Then you will want to go to a higher quality wax. I have 10 blocks on my garage floor that I won't use but I will find a use for it somewhere, even if it is to ... well I dunno yet but I will.

Edited by Nitewing