Best type of Lavender EO for soy?

jonsie

I was extremely lucky with my first attempt at using Lavender EO in GW464. That first kilo was very fragrant and I could use less than 5% to get wonderful HT, and the CT was just as amazing. My customers loved it.

The next kilo I bought from the same supplier was different: not nearly as fragrant, wicking was different, and overall an expensive, frustrating mess. The first kilo and the second kilo were from the same supplier so I contacted them about helping identify the botanical name (the label only said "French Lavender Essential Oil" -- nothing else) and all they could suggest was that maybe I got their old stock of Lavandula officinalis and my second kilo was Lavandula angustifolia.

I tried Lavandula officinalis from two other suppliers (all of these suppliers are in Australia) and they simply aren't as fragrant as that very first kilo I used. All of them smell great in the bottle, but once I get them in the wax, the CT and HT are weak, even at 8%.

So this is where I can really use some help. I'm currently visiting the U.S. so I'd like to make some purchases before heading back to Oz, but I'm tired of wasting A LOT of money on Lavender EO. If someone would please share what supplier and Lavender EO has worked for you in soy... 40/42, or officinalis, or spike or whatever, I would be tremendously grateful. PM me if you prefer, I'm desperate!

Hi Jonsie

I have always used 40/42 angustifola BUT in CB135 soy wax at 6%- excellent Hot and Cold throw with CD wicks

I use 464 in all of my other container candles but for me this wax does not cut it with pure EO- I have found with all EO's I use (geranium rose, lemongrass, peppermint eucalyptus, patchouli, citronella, neroli, rosemary, cypress and lavender) that 135 way out performs the 464- I buy all mine from either Mountain Rose Herbs or snowdrift Farm online

I hope that helps some and hopefully in Australia you can get your hands on CB135 to give it a try!

Thanks Moonshine! That is very interesting about the CB-135. I can get GW464 for $100/carton (and that's when I pick it up and don't pay for shipping), and CB-135 would have to come from the opposite coast and would cost about $170/carton. But you still have me very intrigued enough to play around with a sample of it.

I found an Aussie supplier for 40/42 and may give that a try, but I may order some from here too just to cover my bases. Jeez, I'm going to be neck-deep in Lavender EO!