How long do your melts last?

Joannec

Hi all,

I am new to all this and have recently been making tarts. I have used ecosoya pb blend and also ecosoya cb135 and also I blend of the 2. I have been adding fragrances at high and low temps, letting them cure and the end product is they all seem to be the same with regards to hot throw.

My melts will scent a room and sometimes more than just a room, some scents seem to last about 3 tea light burns which is roughly 10-12 hours and some only seem to last for about 4 hours. The 1st tealight burn is always the strongest with subsequent burns being less fragrant.

Was just wondering how long other people's melt fragrances last? I don't know if I am being over critical of my melts, have given tarts out for my neighbour to try but have yet to have feedback.

I can only use the ecosoy waxes as I am in uk and that's all we seem to get apart from paraffin wax.

How else can I get my melts to last longer? Many thanks x

I use a blend of EcoSoya PB and Xcel. I use 2 cubes of a 6 cavity clamshell or a whole 2 oz portion cup and mine last at least 3 days sometimes more. I turn it off at night. I test mine to last at least 14 hrs.

I think the tealight burners burn at a higher temp so that could be the cause of the scent only lasting 4 hours. I think the 10-12 hrs is good though. I have had people complain about Scentsy's only lasting a few hours.

Thank you so much for that, I really appreciate any help. At the moment I have done a 80 cb blend and 20 pb blend. I might get some excel and try that. What temp do you add fragrance? I have tried adding at 185 and also 140 and I usually pour at about 110. I thought I was doing ok but then tried a fragrance called birthday cake and it's lovely for 1st tea light but then hardly anything after.

I have read on here that some people get their tarts to last from a week to a month. I would love to be able to do that but have run out of ideas on what to do x

It depends on how long you use them. Think hours instead of days. Most of my one ounce melts last about two days if I heat them all day, so that is 16-20 hours. If I melt for an evening at 3 hours each time, they last about a week. The scent is strongest at first and gradually tapers off. I use an electric warmer.

It does make a big difference in experience tealight warmer vs. electric warmer- I would try them in an electric warmer and see what you think

What percent FO are you using?- I use 135/PB blend myself and can get 2 days of good scent out of mine (not on during the night)

I heat to 185, add FO at 170 and pour at 140

most of my warmers are electric plate type and when I do use a light bulb kind I use a 40watt bulb

Tarts that are melted in tea light burners will often last a shorter amount of time than those melted in an electric burner because tea lights are hotter. That could be part of the issue. Quality of oil is also important and since you're in the UK, I have no idea. You may in fact need to use 10% depending upon quality of oil. Finally, have you had a VERY objective person test for you? Your tarts might be stonger than you think!

Have given them to a neighbour but as yet have not had feedback. I have ordered some oils from the US, just waiting for them to be delivered. The lady who I buy from here in the uk says that she gets her oils from the US and they are uncut. The reason I bought direct from the US is that you have so many scent choices it's unbelievable. I can only get what the lady decides to import in which compared to the US is nothing, plus it's a lot more expensive.

Do all of your melts scent a whole house? I only ever burn one melt at a time in my living room, I can usually smell it outside in hall and sometimes upstairs but that's mostly with 1st tea light burn. I was just wondering if there was something special that i was not doing in making the scent more long lasting ?x