Frostop

Hi and happy holidays to all! I had decided not to color my candles and then read about Frostop earlier in this forum and ordered some. No directions except the % to use. So I added it to soy/cottonseed blend and colored. Good results as far as frosting, but when burned, there was "goopy stuff" floating in the melt pool. Just wondering if this was due to this additive or something else? I put the color away for a bit but started thinking (probably a mistake, LOL) about it. Not sure what it's melt temp is. I may have to email Barn loft and ask, but thought if anyone else has had this happen, they would chime in too. TIA. Beth

What % did you end up using? I added it at 2%, and didn't have any strange reactions, I've also used it at 1% and had it work well. There was still a tiny bit of frosting, but I hardly used any, actually it was a tad below 1%, still looked better than any of my other candles!

I actually melted it separately, in a Pyrex measuring cup and then added the melted soy wax to that - I've also added it dry and poured the hot wax over it and let that melt it. Both ways worked fine for me.

Hi Beth,

I have not had that happen yet. I use 2% usually. However, I do notice that it will work with some fragrances and not others. It is really weird because my cinnamon stick is/was my worst froster and when I use Frostop with that one it works like a charm but then when I use it with the Persimmon Spice which does not frost as bad as the cin. stick it does not seem to help much at all. I wonder why? It is still worth using though because it does help with most of them. Which soy did you use it in? Maybe it does not blend as well with some soys. Not sure. Also, how high did you heat the soy?

~Holly

Hi Holly, I think I added about 2% to BG's soy/cottonseed blend. I melted it in the soy to about 175 or so and poured as usual. Maybe it is something else I did. Concentration lately has been divided in many directions. I will give it a try again as it could be the scent, heat, color, soy or???? Actually, it didn't frost, so it does have that good point. And thanks Daniedb, apparently, I had it hot enough at the beginning...wasn't too sure about that. Just didn't want to mess with it if this was something normally happening. Right now it's clean house, babysit, cook and finish up on Christmas. By the way, have a great one! New Year's Day, starts a whole new year of candles! Beth

Hi all,

I am a bit late in the response, been away for holiday. I have had great success with the Frostop, and use it at 2%. I haven't noticed the goopy stuff in the meltpool, I am thinking it may not have melted completely when you added it to your wax? It does take a while to melt if you pour at lower temps.

I add mine to the pouring pot and it melts just fine with the hot wax around 175.

Good Luck!