About Electronic Scales

I was reviewing my scale instruction manual, and saw this warning:

**SPECIAL WARNING**

Cell-Phones, Cordless-Phones, and any radio-frequency device can cause temporary interference and cause the scale to temporarily not work properly. Please do not use any electronic device near the scale. Just like in an Airplane, do not use your cell-phone near the scale when it is in use. While there is NO risk of permanent damage to the scale, interference can cause an incorrect calibration or incorrect weight readings.

I did not know this (perhaps I didn't read the instructions well enough the first time around LOL), so I thought I'd share in case some of you missed this factoid about electronic scales, too.

At my regular work (the one that comes with a paycheck) I use a lot of very sensitive measuring and analytical instruments and I can assure you that the manufactures statement is very true. Cell phones and hand held radios when at rest have no effect but when a cell phone "pings the tower" or the radio is "keyed up" they send a very powerful pulse that affects sensitive equipment like scales. Several times in the past I worked around explosives and once it was taken out of its protective packaging we would go on "Radio Silence" for up to a mile away which includes cell phones because the detonators could be affected by them and set off an explosion. There are two very important and very sensitive devices in the Cockpit of airplanes that can easily be affected by cell phones and potentially cause a crash.

I know! what does have to do with your scales? Well, nothing but its something that people should know so as not to cause any disasters.

A simple test you can do to see it for yourself is pass your cell phone by an older TV or radio while it is ringing or try to call out. It will severly interfere not only with the reception but some internal electronics will start buzzing.