Anyone know how these are made?

Hi,

I saw these at a craft fair today: www.TirNaNogFlakes.com

We bought some and I am melting a tablespoonful (per the instructions) in a CandleWarmers large burner. They smell really nice. Scents my livingroom pretty well. Not overly strong but it is pleasant and I can add more if I want it stronger. Kind of a fun idea.

We asked the lady how she made these and she said she just melts the soy wax, adds color and fragrance and then chunks them up again. She had a real crowd around her booth. Women and men who seemed really intrigued by the "Idea" of actually seeing soy in flake form...made it seem "greener" to them somehow. And they were having fun filling their plastic cups. Kind of had a candy store appeal to it.

But when I looked at the flakes at home...I got a pine scented cup of these...one side of each flake is dark green and the other side is light green. How is that possible if the soy wax was completely melted and colored? Also, the flakes are identical in thinness to the ones in my box of GB 444. Is there a way to pour this and chop it that thin? I cannot quite figure this out. It just seemed like it could be fun to try to make!

Hi,

I saw these at a craft fair today: www.TirNaNogFlakes.com

We bought some and I am melting a tablespoonful (per the instructions) in a CandleWarmers large burner. They smell really nice. Scents my livingroom pretty well. Not overly strong but it is pleasant and I can add more if I want it stronger. Kind of a fun idea.

We asked the lady how she made these and she said she just melts the soy wax, adds color and fragrance and then chunks them up again. She had a real crowd around her booth. Women and men who seemed really intrigued by the "Idea" of actually seeing soy in flake form...made it seem "greener" to them somehow. And they were having fun filling their plastic cups. Kind of had a candy store appeal to it.

But when I looked at the flakes at home...I got a pine scented cup of these...one side of each flake is dark green and the other side is light green. How is that possible if the soy wax was completely melted and colored? Also, the flakes are identical in thinness to the ones in my box of GB 444. Is there a way to pour this and chop it that thin? I cannot quite figure this out. It just seemed like it could be fun to try to make!

It may be done somewhat on the order of how Enchanted Lights soy pellets can be scented and dyed. I tried it once. They took the scent pretty good but the color was light. I mixed fragrance with some liquid dye in a cup, then poured it in a baggie and just kept mushing it around a couple times a day until it all absorbed. Once that happened, I poured them on wax paper to dry. There is a sight that tells how to make these which is where I found it some time back where you could get the measurements of FO/amount of soy beads/flakes. I don't remember the site but it would probably come up in a Google search. I think it was Southern something...and they sell Enchanted Lights soy products. Hope that helps.

Can't help with your question but that's a great price for 8 oz including shipping charges...if they truly do hold their scent. Almost looks like they are just adding dye and scent and tossing soy flakes until they absorb it, but I can't imagine that actually working!

Edited by kandlekrazy

That's what I have done and they do work. Wish I had thought of the whole basket and scoop thing. Would be great for craft shows and a lot less work. I always put mine in a glass jar. I hope they do well....

Can't help with your question but that's a great price for 8 oz including shipping charges...if they truly do hold their scent. Almost looks like they are just adding dye and scent and tossing soy flakes until they absorb it, but I can't imagine that actually working!

I knew you guys would have some cool ideas about this. Thank you for sharing...I'm going to play around with it and see what I come up with. I also was thinking it would be fun for customers to be able to "blend" their own scent flakes to create their own fragrances...Sorta like at 7/11 where they now let you blend different flavors of Slushie/Icee mix. (hope that makes sense?) As long as the cup or bag comes out to the right weight, then why not let folks have some fun with it? A customer might even come up with a cool new "scent" that could be tested in candle form as well. Ideas, ideas....all sorts of ideas for "wickless" fun!

I do that Traveler, when they buy 1/2 lb. they get to choose 1 or 2 scents. If they buy a pound they get up to 4 scents. On my website and in my literature, I give them scent mix ideas with new "names" for example:

Island Breeze + Vanilla = Island Smoothie

Coffee House Caramel + Cocoa Honey Bee = Caramel Mochaccino

make sense? It gets them "started" in their own mixing