Yep, another "wax" question...but - different?

mlomeli

Ok, so maybe not too different, but hear me out....:cheesy2:

I've been using some Single Pour Container Wax-IGI 4630A for both my jars and some tarts. While I like the wax for container's, the tarts are well...soft. I'm looking for something that is a little harder, but the key is SINGLE POUR for clamshells. I don't know if I'd know how to re-pour a clamshell without messing it up.

So, a non greasy/soft single pour for clamshells (obviously scent through is a must)- yep, that should have been my title.

thanks,

Matt

Most container waxes are too soft for tarts during the summer, especially molded tarts, but the wax itself makes very pleasing tarts in most cases. The only exception to this is Glass Glow, or container palm wax. It adheres far too tightly to be easily demolded, although some people have success by chilling the molds prior to demolding. It has to be liquid to easily remove it from a warmer. Other than that, there's no real reason people cannot use whatever wax they wish for tartmaking - there will be pros and cons. Adding stearic acid or beeswax to container blends hardens them and can make them more able to hold more scent, so why not?

KY tart wax, like every other brand/blend, has its fans and its detractors. One size doesn't fit all.

Edited by Stella1952

Ok, so maybe not too different, but hear me out....:cheesy2:

I've been using some Single Pour Container Wax-IGI 4630A for both my jars and some tarts. While I like the wax for container's, the tarts are well...soft. I'm looking for something that is a little harder, but the key is SINGLE POUR for clamshells. I don't know if I'd know how to re-pour a clamshell without messing it up.

So, a non greasy/soft single pour for clamshells (obviously scent through is a must)- yep, that should have been my title.

thanks,

Matt

The two previous posters already addressed the container wax part so I won't repeat. So what you are seeking is a single pour votive/tart wax in paraffin?

I have found on clamshells, even though the wax would require a re-pour on a votive, it may not on a clamshell or tart. It may show a tiny bit of indention but not bad. It depends how smooth and opaque you want the clamshell tops to be.

What I personally do to get a votive/tart paraffin blend to work without the need for a re-pour on both clamshell and tart is to pour a little cooler than usual. I don't use a thermometer anymore for my pour temps (I do on everything else) but what I would do is heat to 190, pour into pour pot, add pre-warmed FO, stir and let it sit a couple minutes. Then pour the clamshells and individual tarts.

You can also combine container wax with votive/tart wax to try to eliminate the double pour issue. I have used a 75:25 ratio (tart/votive:container).

If you would like double duty wax for containers, tart and votive making, there are a couple out there that I am aware of.

Edited by jeanie353

The Candle Source container wax does double duty. It'll give you a creamy container candle and perfect tarts, and great HT; it is my favorite paraffin, closely followed by the CBL 129 from Candlewic which makes awesome container candles and tarts with excellent HT. I have used and continue to use both waxes in my clamshells. 4630 on its own is a bit too soft for tarts/clamshells.

You could also try the 4786 and the 4794 (I use these also). They release easily from clamshells and molds. Some will dimple more than others. The one that dimples the least is TCS wax, followed by the 4794, 4786 and CBL, based on my experience with these waxes. All the waxes I mentioned are paraffin; I add nothing but FO. HTH

Good luck! :smiley2:

Edited by Ravens

The Candle Source container wax does double duty. It'll give you a creamy container candle and perfect tarts, and great HT; it is my favorite paraffin

So, even at this container wax...isn't too soft for clamshell tarts? Do they release well (not mushy))

I use the same wax for my containers and my melts. I pour mine in the 1524 closeable trays and have had no problems with them. If doing the single molds they can over time during transport get a little broken up, but, I rarely do those type anymore. Everyone here seems to want the tray style melts so. They release easily and usually leave the trays pretty clean when they're all used up.

I use the same wax for my containers and my melts. I pour mine in the 1524 closeable trays and have had no problems with them. If doing the single molds they can over time during transport get a little broken up, but, I rarely do those type anymore. Everyone here seems to want the tray style melts so. They release easily and usually leave the trays pretty clean when they're all used up.

Thanks, it would be nice if Peak sold this. Putting an order in soon, so it'd be nice to save on some shipping. May have to just suck it up and get wax one place and other stuff, elsewhere and just deal with it. Thanks for your experience.

Thanks, it would be nice if Peak sold this. Putting an order in soon, so it'd be nice to save on some shipping. May have to just suck it up and get wax one place and other stuff, elsewhere and just deal with it. Thanks for your experience.

Oh to be able to get everything one needed from one place would be nice. Many of us use multiple suppliers for all our needs.

If you are wanting to order from Peaks, get a slab of 4794 to blend with your container wax. I'm certain you'll be happy with the results. Try 25% 4794 first and adjust from there. You could probably even go as high as 50% and still have it "one-pour".

sporadic....I notice it says that blend says it may require a 2nd pour. Are you by chance able to single pour it?

I am using a paraffin only votive/tart blend now that I prefer to add a little paraffin container wax to but find I am running into wicking issues.

On the votive/tart paraffin alone, I get a fantastic throw, wicks easily but the double pour or waiting to pour at a low temp (and catching it before it gets too cool) is something I'd like to avoid, if possible to keep things going a little faster. I use a parasoy for my containers and wouldn't look back but it is a true one pour.

Edited by jeanie353