Making cinnamon-scented pinecones

RWV

My mom and dad have huge pine trees and lots of pinecones. I usually dip them in cinnamon-scented wax but my mom wants to simply spray the cones with cinnamon oil and set them out in a basket. Do I need to add DPG, cyclo, or something else to the fo prior to spraying the scent directly on the pinecones so the smell will last longer? Thanks!

Edited by RWV
change PEG to DPG

I would add DPG instead of just the oil. It would be safer if people touch the pinecones. Cinnamon oil can really burn. How about if you mix up some oil and DPG (or cyclo) in a little 4 ounce spray bottle, spray the cones and let them dry, and then give her the spray to freshen the pine cones as needed.

Hi Deb425, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing because, as you said, cinnamon can be so irritating to the skin. I've got cyclo, so I guess I could mix 2:1 cinnamon oil to cyclo and see what happens. Thanks!

I would add DPG instead of just the oil. It would be safer if people touch the pinecones. Cinnamon oil can really burn. How about if you mix up some oil and DPG (or cyclo) in a little 4 ounce spray bottle, spray the cones and let them dry, and then give her the spray to freshen the pine cones as needed.

• 8 months later...

RWV, did you ever find a good process for making the cinnamon scented pine cones? I am wanting to do the same thing.

Could I use a room spray base to make a cinnamon scented spray (extra strong) and then saturate the pine cones with the spray and let them dry? Also, are there any recommendations for a super strong cinnamon for this purpose?